This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Injection Parameters and Swirl on Diesel Combustion with High Pressure Fuel Injection
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper reports on research works of ACE towards the most appropriate injection and combustion system for heavy-duty direct injection diesel engines. Selected items for the study are the effect of nozzle hole diameter, injection rate pattern, swirl ratio, and supercharging under high pressure fuel injection. According to those experimental results, the combination of over 150MPa injection pressure with controlled injection rate, smaller nozzle hole diameter, and quiescent combustion systems shows the best performance and emission. The mechanisms of the combustion improvement are discussed from the turbulent mixing viewpoint, including the results of combustion observation.
CitationShundoh, S., Kakegawa, T., Tsujimura, K., and Kobayashi, S., "The Effect of Injection Parameters and Swirl on Diesel Combustion with High Pressure Fuel Injection," SAE Technical Paper 910489, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910489.
- Gill Alan P. “Design Choices for 1990's Low Emission Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 880350
- Cartellieri W.P. Herzog P.L. “Swirl supported or quiescent combustion for 1990's heavy duty DI diesel engines-an analysis” SAE Paper 880342
- Kakegawa T. Suzuki T. Tsujimura K. Shimoda M. “A study on combustion of high pressure fuel injection for direct injection diesel engine” SAE Paper 880422
- Kato T. Tsujimura K. Shintani M. Minami T. Yamaguchi I. “Spray characteristics and combustion improvement of D.I. diesel engine with high pressure fuel injection” SAE Paper 890265
- Minami T. Yamaguchi I, Shintani M. Suzuki T. Tsujimura K. “Analysis of fuel spray characteristics and combustion phenomena under high pressure fuel Injection” SAE Paper 900438
- Yamaguchi I. Nakahiral T. Komori M. “An image analysis of high speed combustion photographs for D.I. diesel engine with high pressure fuel injection” SAE Paper 901577
- Wakuri Y. Fujii M. Amitani T. Tsuneya R. “Syudies on the penetration of fuel spray of diesel engine” Bulletin of the JSME 25 156 820 1959
- Dent J.C. Mehta P.S. “Phenomenological combustion model for a quiescent chamber diesel engine” SAE Paper 811235
- Ikegami M. Shioji M. Koike M. “A stochastic approach to model the combustion process in direct-injection diesel engines” 20th symposium (Int.) on combustion 217 1984
- Chikahisa T. Yoneno N. Murayama T. “Theoretical study on optimum conditions for fuel injection system and swirl flow in DI diesel engines” Bulletin of the 8th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium Japan 7 1990
- Ikegami M. Shioji M. Kimoto T. “Diesel combustion and pollutant formation as viewed from turbulent concept” SAE Paper 880425