This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Second Law Analysis of Turbocharged Engine Operation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper the turbocharged diesel engine operation is analyzed by means of a second law based method. The instantaneous release and storage of availability inside the several components (cylinders, manifolds, compressor and turbine) are evaluated by following a theoretical-experimental methodology that has been recently proposed by the authors.
Examples of availability balances are compared for different values of some parameters which influence the combustion and the exhaust process, or for several arrangements of the engine and turbomachine system.
The availability analysis of the engine transient development will show the amounts of mechanical energy employed for both in-cylinder storage and turbocharger acceleration and of those available for conversion into external output. These amounts will be compared with the fuel availability and with those destroyed during the several processes (i.e. combustion, gas exchange, turbocharger operation).
- Fabio Bozza - Dipartimento di Ingegneria Meccanica per l'Energetica (D.I.M.E.), Universita di Napoli Federico II Italy
- Roberto Nocera - Dipartimento di Ingegneria Meccanica per l'Energetica (D.I.M.E.), Universita di Napoli Federico II Italy
- Adolfo Senatore - Dipartimento di Ingegneria Meccanica per l'Energetica (D.I.M.E.), Universita di Napoli Federico II Italy
- Raffaele Tuccillo - Dipartimento di Ingegneria Meccanica per l'Energetica (D.I.M.E.), Universita di Napoli Federico II Italy
CitationBozza, F., Nocera, R., Senatore, A., and Tuccillo, R., "Second Law Analysis of Turbocharged Engine Operation," SAE Technical Paper 910418, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910418.
- Flynn, P.F. Hoag, K.L. Kamel, M.M. Primus, R.J. “A new Perspective on Diesel Engine Evaluation Based on Second Law Analysis” SAE Paper n. 840032
- Primus, R.J. “A Second Law Approach to Exhaust System Optimization” SAE Paper n. 84033
- Primus, R.J. Flynn, P.F. “Diagnosing the real Performance Impact of Diesel Engine Design Parameter Variation (A Primer in the Use of Second Law Analysis)” Proc. of COMODIA 529 538 Tokyo 1985
- Van Gerpen, J.H. Shapiro, H.N. “Second Law Analysis of Diesel engine Combustion” ASME Journ. for Gas Turb. and Power 112 Jan. 1990 129 137
- Bejan, A. “Advanced Engineering Thermodynamics” Wiley Interscience New York 1988
- Moran, M.J. “Availability Analysis: A Guide to Efficient Energy Use” Prentice-Hall 1982
- Kotas, J. “The Exergy Method of Thermal Plant Analysis” Butterworths, London 1985
- Heywood, J.B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” McGraW Hill Co. New York 1988
- Ramos, J.I. “Internal Combustion Engine Modeling” Hemisphere Publ. Co. 1989
- Watson, N. Marzouk, M. Piley, A.D. “A Combustion Correlation for Diesel Engine Simulation” SAE Paper 800029
- Xia, Y.Q. Flanagan, R.C. “Ignition Delay: a General Engine/Fuel Model” SAE paper n. 870591
- Krieger, R.B. Borman, G.L. “The Computation of Apparent Heat Release for I.C.E.” ASME paper n. 66-WA/DGP-4 1966
- Svehla, R.A. McBride, B.J. “Fortran IV Computer Program for Calculation of Thermodynamic and Transport Properties of Complex Chemical Systems” NASA TN D-7056 1973
- Senatore, A. Tuccillo, R. “Experimental Analysis of Unsteady Phenomena Upstream of a Turbocharged Engine” SAE paper n. 890649 SAE SP-780 “Power Boost Light, Medium and Heavy Duty Engines”
- Bozza, F. Nocera, R. Senatore, A. Tuccillo, R. “The Improvement of the Theoretical Prediction of Turbocharged Engine Operation by means of Experimental Data” proc. of “Workshop on Fluid mechanics, Combustion and Emission in Reciprocating Engines” 1990 265 276
- Bozza, F. Nocera, R. Senatore, A. Tuccillo, R. “Theoretical and Experimental Investigation of the Matching between an I. C. E. and a Turbocharger” SAE paper n. 901601
- Chen, S.K. Lin, R. “A Review of Engine Advanced Cycle and Rankine Bottoming Cycle and their Loss Evaluation” SAE paper n. 830124
- Watson, N. Kyrtatos, N.P. Holmes, K. “The Performance Potential of limited Cooled Diesel Engines” Proc. of Inst. Mech. Engrs. 197A July 1983 197 207
- Cerri, G. “Regenerative Supercharging of Four Stroke I. C. E.” SAE paper n. 830507
- Cerri, G. “Organic Fluid Turbocharger for a 2000 kW Diesel Engine” proc. of Tokyo Intern. Gas Turbine Congress Oct. 1987