This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Determination of Flow Velocity Distribution in a Vehicle Interior Using a Visualization and Computation Techniques
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this work, the flow velocity distribution was determined by measurements of visualized flow, obtained with a one-fourth scale three-dimensional model, and by numerical analysis. The measurements of interior flow were obtained using a method which combined the particle-tracking technique, a basic method conventionally employed for flow visualization, with a pulsed-laser-light-sheet technique. Flow images taken with a video camera were then processed by means of an image processing system. Flow velocity distributions were obtained for two different discharge modes - a dashboard-vent mode in which air was discharged from four vents provided along the top of the dashboard, and a bi-level mode in which vents at the foot position were added to those of the first mode. Three-dimensional numerical analyses using a direct-simulation method were conducted to calculate the interior flow, and a comparison was made with the measured results obtained in the visualization experiment.
- Hideyuki Sakamoto - Body Development Department, Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.
- Yuji Ishihara - Vehicle Research Laboratory, Central Engineering Laboratories, Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.
- Junichiro Hara - Vehicle Research Laboratory, Central Engineering Laboratories, Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.
- Kyoji Kamemoto - Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Yokohama National Univ.
- Hidenobu Okamoto - Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Yokohama National Univ.
CitationIshihara, Y., Hara, J., Sakamoto, H., Kamemoto, K. et al., "Determination of Flow Velocity Distribution in a Vehicle Interior Using a Visualization and Computation Techniques," SAE Technical Paper 910310, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910310.
- Kamemoto, K. Okamoto, H. Tanaka, E. “An Experiment on a ‘Pulse-Laser-Light-Sheet Technique’ for Velocity Measurement in Three-dimensional and Complex Flow Fields,” Proceedings of the First China-Japan Symposium on Flow Visualization Beijing 1988 237 42
- Kamemoto, K. Okamoto, H. Tanaka, E. Aizawa, M. “Progressive Application of a ‘Pulse-Laser-Light-Sheet’ as a Simple Technique of Velocity Measurement in Three-dimensional and Complex Flow Fields,” Eleventh Symposium on Turbulence Missouri 1988 A23 1 10
- Hara, J. Fujitani, K. Kuwahara, K. “Computer Simulation of Passenger Compartment Airflow,” SAE Paper 881749 Oct. 1988
- Kawamura, K. Kuwahara, K. “Computation of High Reynolds Number Flow around a Circular Cylinder with Surface Roughness,” AIAA Paper, 84-0340 Jan. 1984
- Thompson, J.F. Thames, F.C. Mastin, C.W. “Automatic Numerical Generation of Body-Fitted Curvilinear Coordinate System for Field Containing Any Number of Arbitrary Two-Dimensional Bodies,” J. Comp. Phys. 15 299 319 1974