This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
2-D Soot Visualization in Unsteady Spray Flame by means of Laser Sheet Scattering Technique
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The two-dimensional distribution of a soot cloud in an unsteady spray flame in a rapid compression machine(RCM) was visualized using the laser sheet scattering technique. A 40 mm x 50 mm cross section on the flame axis was illuminated by a thin laser sheet from a single pulsed Nd:YAG laser(wavelength 532 nm). Scattered light from soot particles was taken by a CCD camera via a high speed gated image intensifier. The temporal variation of the scattered light images were presented with the injection pressure as a parameter.
The results showed that scattered light was intense near the periphery of the flame tip and that the scattered light becomes weaker significantly and disappears fast after the end of injection as injection pressure is increased. This technique was also applied to the visualization of the two-dimensional distribution of liquid droplets in the non-evaporating spray to correlate it with the soot concentration distribution.
CitationWon, Y., Kamimoto, T., Kobayashi, H., and Kosaka, H., "2-D Soot Visualization in Unsteady Spray Flame by means of Laser Sheet Scattering Technique," SAE Technical Paper 910223, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910223.
- Aoyagi,Y., Kamimoto, T., Matsui,Y., and Matsuoka,S.,“A Gas Sampling Study on the Formation Process of Soot and NO in a D.I. Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper 800254, 1980
- Kamimoto,T., Yokota,H., and Kobayashi,H., “Effect of High Pressure injection on Soot Formation Process in a Rapid Compression Machine to Simulate Diesel Flames,” SAE Paper 871610, 1987
- Chang,Y.J., Kobayashi,H., Matsuzawa,K., and Kamimoto,T., “A Photographic Study of Soot Formation and Combustion in a Diesel Engine Flame with a Rapid compression Machine,” Proc. of International Symposium on Diagonotics and Modelling of Combustion in Reciprocating Engines (COMODIA), Tokyo, Japan, pp 149-157, 1985
- Kato,T., Tsujimura,K., Shintani,M., Minami,T., and Yamaguchi,I., “Spray Characteristics and Combustion improvement of D.I. Diesel Engine with High Pressure Fuel Injection.” SAE Paper 890265, 1989
- Otani,T.. Shigemori,M., Suzuki,T., and Shimoda,M.,“Effects of Fuel Injection Pressure and Fuel Properties on Particulate Emission from H.D.D.I. Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper 881255, 1988
- Kamimoto,T., Kobayashi,H., and Matsuoka,S., “A Big Size Rapid Compression Machine for Fundamental Studies of Diesel Combustion,” SAE Paper 811004, 1981
- Won,Y.H., Kamimoto.T., and Kobayashi,H.,“A Study on the Structure of Unsteady Spray Flame and the Mechanism of Soot Formation and Oxidation,” Syposium on Engine System, 1007, 67th Annual Meeting of JSME, pp 302-304, 1990
- Shioji,M., Yamane,K., Sakakibara,N., and Ikegami,M.,“Characterization of Soot Clouds and Turbulent Mixing in Diesel Flame by image Analysis,” Proc. of International Symposium on Diagonotics and Modelling Combustion in Reciprocating Engines (COMODIA 90), Kyoto, Japan, pp 613-618, 1990
- Cavaliere,A., Ragucci,R., D'alessio,A., Noviello,C.,and Cardamone,P. “Morphological Analysis of Diesel Sprays Structure in Ignition Regimes,” Proceeding of Workshop and Exposition on Fluid Mechanics, Combustion and Emission in Reciprocating Engines, Napoli, Italy, pp 89-100, 1990
- zur Loye,A.O., Siebers, D.L., and Dec,J.E., “2-D Soot Imaging in a Direct Injection Diesel Engine using Laser-Induced Incandescence,” Proc. of International Symposium on Diagonotics and Modelling Combustion in Reciprocating Engines (COMODIA 90), Kyoto, Japan, pp523-528, 1990
- Kamimoto,T., and Kobayasi,H., “An Electronic-Hydraulic Unit Injector for A Rapid Compression Machine:” Trans. JSME, Vol.53 No 487. pp 1117-1120, 1987
- Kent,J.H., and Jander,H., and Wagner,H.GG., “Soot Formation in a Laminar Diffusion Flame,” Eighteenth Syposium (International) on Combustion, pp 1117-1126, 1981
- Bayvel,L.P., and Jones,A.R., “Electromagnetic Scattering and Its Applications,” Applied Science Publishers, 1981
- Dalzell,W,H., and Sarofim,A.F, “Optical Constant of Soot and Their Application to Heat-Flux Calculation,” Trans. ASME J.Heat Transfer, 91-1, 1969
- Haynes, B.S. and Wagner,H.GG., “Soot Formation,” Prog. Energy Combust. Sci., Vol 7, pp 229-273, 1981
- Becker.H.A. and Yamazaki,S., “Soot Concentration Field of Turbulent Propane/air Diffusion Flames,” Sixteenth Symposium (International) on Combustion, pp 681-691, The Combustion Institute, 1977
- Dasch,C.J., “Continuous-Wave Probe Laser Investigation of Laser Vaporization of Small Soot Particles in a Flame,” Applied Optics, Vol. 23, No. 13, pp 2209-2215, 1984
- Amann,C.A. and Siegla,D.C., “Diesel Particulates-What They are and Why,” Aerosol Sci. Technol., Vol 1, pp 73-101, 1982
- Flenklach,M., Ramachandra,M.K., and Matula,R.A., “Soot Formation in Shock-Tube Oxidation of Hydrocarbons.” Twentieth Symposium (International) on Combustion, Combustion Institute, pp871-878, 1984
- Bracco,F.V., “Modelling of Engine Sprays,” SAE paper 850394, 1985