This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
On-the-Road Durability and Performance of TWC Exhaust Emission Control Under Real Nordic Driving Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The temperature regime of driving conditions in Nordic countries is very wide. This may have some effect on the performance and durability of the emission control systems used in todays vehicles, because normally these are designed with a less rigorous environment in mind. This paper describes durability and cold-start performance results obtained with two current technology TWC-cars in a full 80,000 km's on-the-road test under realistic driving conditions in Finland. The temperature extremes during the 24-month test period ranged from -28° to + 28°C. All vehicles were operated in day-to-day traffic as normal passenger cars without using any predetermined driving pattern. This practice is in contrast to the standardized durability run.
The evaluation of long-term emissions performance showed a reasonable low deterioration over the test. However, at an early stage of the test one of the cars suffered from a mechanical failure in the converter unit leading to reduced performance. Rather than by cold environment, this failure was caused by a strong outside impact breaking down the ceramic substrate, probably in off-road driving. After 80,000 km's both vehicles needed a new oxygen sensor to bring their emissions within the legal conformity limits. In addition to the standardized tests, emissions were measured in proprietary on-the-road cold-start tests. These showed quite high CO emissions. The main cause of this elevation was the heavy enrichment of the air-fuel mixture necessary in cold-start and warm-up operation. This enrichment disturbed the correct composition of the exhaust gases and made the operation of a TWC converter impossible, because it normally works solely on the oxygen contained in the exahausts. Therefore a furher optimization of TWC systems for low ambient temperatures seems necessary.
CitationLaurikko, J., "On-the-Road Durability and Performance of TWC Exhaust Emission Control Under Real Nordic Driving Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 910172, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910172.
- Laurikko, J.K. Motor Vehicle Exhaust Emissions and Control in Finland SAE paper 890584 SAE Annual Congress and Exhibition Detroit, MI 1989
- Bang, J.R. 1985
- Braddock, J.N. Impact of low ambient temperature on 3-way catalyst car emissions Warrendale, Pennsylvania, USA 1981 SAE paper 810280 Society of Automotive Engineers U.S.A.
- Branham, R.J. Evaluation of the temperature effects on five 1981 passenger vehicles Ann Arbor, Michigan USA 1981 EPA Technical report EPA-AA-TEB-82-4 Environmental Protection Agency
- Coutts, H.J. Automotive cold-start carbon monoxide emissions and preheater evaluation New Hampshire 1981 Special report 81-32 Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratory, U.S.Army Corps of Engineers
- Landman, L.O. Analysis of carbon monoxide emissions as a function of ambient temperature and vehicle parameters Ann Arbor, Michigan USA 1983 EPA Technical report EPA-AA-CTAB/TA-83-6
- Oustrouchov, N. Polak, J. Automobile emissions and fuel economy at low ambient temperatures Canada 1978 Canada Air Pollution Control Directive Report EPS 4-AP-78-1
- Laurikko, J.K. The evaluation of two different automotive catalytic converters at low ambient temperature Proc. of OECD Symposium of Cleaner Air and the Cost of Reducing Emissions Taormina, Italy October 1986
- Laurikko, J. Nylund, N.-O. Sipilä, K. Automotive Exhaust Emissions at Low Ambient Temperature Technical Research Centre Research report no. 496 Espoo, Finland 1987
- Laurikko, J.K. Automotive Exhaust Emissions at Low Ambient Temperature SAE paper 890003 Proc. of Subzero Engineering Conditions Conference Rovaniemi, Finland January 1989
- Larson, Robert E. Vehicle Emission Characteristics Under Cold Ambient Conditions SAE paper 890021 Proc. of Subzero Engineering Conditions Conference Rovaniemi, Finland January 1989
- Svensson, N.-G. Nilsson, S.-A. CVS-Cycle and Average City Trip Emissions in the Temperature Below the FTP-Range SAE paper 890022 Proc. of Subzero Engineering Conditions Conference Rovaniemi, Finland January 1989
- Hellmann, K.H. et.al. Resistive Materials Applied to Quick Lightoff Catalysts SAE Paper 890799 International Congress & Exposition Detroit, Michigan 1989 SAE Inc. Warrendale, PA, U.S.A.
- Whittenberger, W.A. Kubsh, J.,E. Recent Developments in Electrically Heated Metal Monoliths SAE Paper 900503 International Congress & Exposition Detroit, Michigan 1990 SAE Inc. Warrendale, PA, U.S.A.
- Hurley, R.,G. Evaluation of Metallic and Electrically Heated Metallic Catalysts on a Gasoline-Fueled Vehicle SAE Paper 900504 International Congress & Exposition Detroit, Michigan 1990 SAE Inc. Warrendale, U.S.A.