This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Comparative Evaluation of Mechanical Properties and Machinability of Austempered Ductile Iron (ADI) and Microalloyed Steel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Austempered Ductile Iron (ADI) samples were heat treated to produce materials with tensile strengths in the range of 100 ksi to 170 ksi. Microalloyed steels were also produced with equivalent tensile and yield strength levels. These steels were evaluated for mechanical properties in terms of tensile and yield strength, ductility, impact toughness, fracture toughness and fatigue strength. Machinability was extensively evaluated through tests of drilling, turning and plunge machining. This paper reports on this comprehensive comparative evaluation of these two important classes of materials for use in the automotive industry.
CitationBhattacharya, D. and Rastogi, P., "A Comparative Evaluation of Mechanical Properties and Machinability of Austempered Ductile Iron (ADI) and Microalloyed Steel," SAE Technical Paper 910141, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910141.
- Oakwood T. Diesburg D. Proceedings - 2nd International Conference on Austempered Ductile Iron 123 Ann Arbor 1986
- Drauglates W. Boese H. G. “Mechanical Properties and Machinability of ADI” 2nd International Conference on Austempered Ductile Iron 247
- Stenfors S-E Storesun J. Sandstorm R. “Influence of Heat Treatment and Composition on the Mechanical Properties and Machinability of ADI” 2nd International Conference on Austempered Ductile Iron 227
- Janowak J.F. “Cast Iron Metallurgy for Improved Machinability” ASM Int. Conf. on High Productivity Machining May 1985
- Hitchcox A. Metal Progress August 1986
- Bhattacharya D. “Machinability of a Microalloyed Medium Carbon Microalloyed Steel” Fundamentals of Microalloyed Forging Steels AIME 1986
- Heitmann W. E. Private Communication 1987
- Tonsoff H. S. Winker H. VDI-Z 124 1982
- Trent E. M. Metal Cutting (Butterworths) 139 1977
- Yaguchi H. Mechanical Working and Steel Processing Conference AIME October 1986