This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Advances in Toughening of Phenolic Composites
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes work aimed at the development of toughened granular fiber reinforced phenolic molding compounds for use in high speed injection molding processes for the automotive industry. Two aspects of toughening were investigated, resin modification and fiber length and type. A proprietary impact modifier was studied to determine the effect of modifier level and glass fiber level on the toughness and flexural properties of short glass reinforced phenolic composites. To determine the effect of fiber length and type, a new proprietary compounding technique was developed to produce granular molding materials with fiber lengths previously attainable only in bulk molding compounds. New toughened phenolic composites were developed based on these studies and are compared to commercial composites based on unmodified and rubber toughened phenolic resins.
CitationBoroson, M., Fitts, B., and Rice, B., "Advances in Toughening of Phenolic Composites," SAE Technical Paper 910044, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910044.
- Cardon, A. Paper No. 890250, SAE International Congress and Expo Detroit 1989
- Fitts, B.B. Bessette M.D. Paper No. 870538, SAE International Congress and Expo Detroit 1987
- Riew, C.K. Rubber-Toughened Plastics Advances in Chemistry Series 222 ACS 1989
- Yee, A.F. Proceedings of the ACS Division of Polymeric Materials: Science and Engineering 63 286 90 1990
- Bascom, W.D. Cottington R.L. Jones R. L. Peyser P. J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 19 2657 64 1975
- Scott, J.M. Phillips D.C. J. Mater. Sci. 10 551 62 1975
- Moore, D. R. Carter J.T. McGrail P.T. Colclough, W.G. Jr. Choate M.A. Paper No. 900069, SAE International Congress and Expo Detroit 1990
- Hunston, D.L. Moulton R.J. Johnston N.J. Bascom W.D. Toughened Composites Johnston N.J. Symposium on Toughened Composites 74 94 1985
- Pottick, L.A. Proceedings of the ACS Division of Polymeric Materials: Science and Engineering 63 26 31 1990
- McGrath, J.E. Hedrick J.C. Hedrick J.L. Cecere J.A. Liptak S.C. Proceedings of the ACS Division of Polymeric Materials: Science and Engineering 63 190 94 1990
- Fitts, B.B. Rice B.A. “Advanced Moldable Phenolic Composites SPE RETEC Chicago March 21-22 1990
- McGarry, F.J. Rubber-Toughened Plastics Riew C.K. Advances in Chemistry Series 222 ACS 173 92 1989