This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Two-Dimensional Driver Side Airbag Deployment Algorithm
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Stapp Car Crash Conference
A PC based interactive program was developed to simulate the unfolding and deploying process of a driver side airbag in the sagittal plane. The airbag was represented by a series of nodes. The maximum allowable stretch was less or equal to one between any two nodes. We assumed that the airbag unfolding was pivoted about folded points. After the completion of the unfolding process the airbag would begin to deploy. During the deploying process, two parameters were used to determine the nodal priority of the inflation. The first parameter was the distance between the instantaneous and final positions of a node. Nodes with longer distances to travel will have to move faster. We also considered the distance between the current nodal position and the gas inlet location. For a node closer to the gas inlet, we assumed that the deploying speed was faster. A graphical procedure was used to calculate the area of the airbag. At each time step, this area was checked against four convergence criteria set up by the user, using an iterative procedure.
CitationYang, K., Wang, H., Wang, H., and King, A., "Development of a Two-Dimensional Driver Side Airbag Deployment Algorithm," SAE Technical Paper 902323, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/902323.
- Chou, C.C. Wyman, M. H. 1989 “A Driver Air Bag Simulation Study” 50th Anniversary Symposium Proceedings Bioengineering Center, Wayne State University 67 75
- Fleck, J.T. 1981 “Validation of the Crash Victim Simulator, Volumes I through IV” DOT Report No. DOT-HS-806 279 December 1981
- Hoffmann, R. Pickett, A.K. Ulrich, D. Haug, E. Lasry, D. Clinkemaillie, J. 1989 “A Finite Element Approach to Occupant Simulation: The PAM-CRASH Airbag Model” SAE publication Sp-782 79 88 SAE paper no. 890754
- Latouf, B. Yang, K.H. King, A. I. 1989 “CAL3D Simulation of Occupant Neck Response to Airbag Deployment in Frontal Impacts 50th Anniversary Symposium Proceedings Bioengineering Center, Wayne State University Nov. 10 1989
- Prasad, P. Chou, C.C. 1989 “A Review of Mathematical Occupant Simulation Models” Crashworthiness and Occupant Protection in Transportation Systems Khalil, T.B. King, A.I. ASME 95 112 New York
- Schnieder, L.W. Robbins, D.H. Pflug, M.A. Snyder, R.G. 1983 “Development of Anthropometrically Based Design Specifications for an Advanced Adult Anthropomorphic Dummy Family, Volume I” DOT Final Report
- Wang, J.T. Lin, K.H. 1988 “A CAL3D Steering System Impact Model” SAE paper No. 880650
- Wang, J.T. Nefske, D.J. 1988 “A New CAL3D Airbag Inflation Model” SAE Paper No. 880654
- Wang, J.T. 1990 “Recent Advances in Modeling of Pyrotechnic Inflators for Inflatable Restraint Systems” Crashworthiness and Occupant Protection in Transportation Systems Khalil, T.B. King, A.I. ASME 89 93 New York
- Wang, J.T. Ngo, T. 1990 “Modeling of Passenger Side Airbags with Complex Shape” SAE paper No. 900545 Vehicle Crashworthiness and Occupant Protection in Frontal Collisions SAE Publication SP-807 117 123