This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Assessing Submarining and Abdominal Injury Risk in the Hybrid III Family of Dummies: Part II - Development of the Small Female Frangible Abdomen
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Stapp Car Crash Conference
The Frangible Abdomen is a crushable Styrofoam insert for the abdominal region of the Hybrid III family of dummies, which has biofidelity, and assesses the occurrence of submarining and its risk of injury. It was first developed for the mid-sized male Hybrid III dummy. This paper describes the design of the Frangible Abdomen for the small female Hybrid III dummy, and how to use it to assess the occurrence and the risk of injury from submarining.
The force-deflection properties of the mid-sized male insert were scaled to the small female dimension using equal stress/equal velocity scaling. Sled tests were run to compare the kinematic and dynamic performance of the baseline small female Hybrid III dummy with the same dummy modified to incorporate the Frangible Abdomen. The kinematic and submarining performance of the small female Hybrid III dummy was unchanged by the addition of the Frangible Abdomen.
The Frangible Abdomen was easy to install and use, and had excellent repeatability. Injury assessment with the Frangible Abdomen is based on the depth of foam deformation. Tables and graphs are included which relate the risk of injury to the amount of crush. Issues regarding its use, handling, applicability, spinal injury, belt roping, and unilateral submarining are discussed. Appendices containing information on retrofitting existing dummies, calibration testing of Styrofoam, and with more detailed tabulations of sled test data are provided.
CitationRouhana, S., Jedrzejczak, E., and McCleary, J., "Assessing Submarining and Abdominal Injury Risk in the Hybrid III Family of Dummies: Part II - Development of the Small Female Frangible Abdomen," SAE Technical Paper 902317, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/902317.
- Rouhana, S.W. Horsch, J.D. Kroell, C.K. “Assessment of Lap-Shoulder Belt Restraint Performance in Laboratory Testing” Proceedings of the 33rd Stapp Car Crash Conference 243 256 SAE Technical Paper Society of Automotive Engineers # 892439 Warrendale, PA 1989
- Daniel, R.F. “Test Dummy Submarining Indicator System.” October 15 1974
- Tarriere, C.H. “Proposal for a Protection Criterion as Regards Abdominal Internal Organs.” Proceedings of the 17th American Association for Automotive Medicine Conference 371 382 1973
- Leung, Y.C. Tarriere, C. Fayon, A. et al “A Comparison Between Part 572 Dummy and Human Subject in the Problem of Submarining.” Proceedings of the 23rd Stapp Car Crash Conference 677 720 SAE Technical Paper # 791026 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1979
- Melvin, J.W. Weber, K. “Abdominal Intrusion Sensor for Evaluating Child Restraint Systems.” Passenger Comfort, Convenience and Safety: Test Tools and Procedures , P-174, SAE Technical Paper # 860370 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1986
- DeJeammes, M. Biard, R. Derrien, Y. “Factors Influencing the Estimation of Submarining on the Dummy.” Proceedings of the 25th Stapp Car Crash Conference 733 762 SAE Technical Paper # 811021 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1981
- Leung, Y.C. Tarriere, C. Lestrelin, D. et al. “Submarining Injuries of 3 Pt. Belted Occupants in Frontal Collisions - Description, Mechanisms and Protection.” Proceedings of the 26th Stapp Car Crash Conference 173 205 SAE Technical Paper # 821158 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1982
- Mooney, M.T. Collins, J.A. “Abdominal Penetration Measurement Insert for the Hybrid III Dummy.” SAE Technical Paper # 860653 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1986
- Biard, R. Cesari, D. Derrien, Y. “Advisability and Reliability of Submarining Detection.” Restraint Technologies: Rear Seat Occupant Protection SP-691 27 38 SAE Technical Paper # 870484 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1987
- Rouhana, S.W. Viano, D.C. Jedrzejczak, E.A. McCleary, J.D. “Assessing Submarining and Abdominal Injury Risk in the Hybrid III Family of Dummies” Proceedings of the 33rd Stapp Car Crash Conference 257 280 SAE Technical Paper #811015 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1989
- Miller, M.A. “The Biomechanical Response of the Lower Abdomen to Belt Restraint Loading” J. Trauma 29 11 1989
- Eppinger, R.H. “Prediction of Thoracic Injury Using Measurable Experimental Parameters.” Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles 770 780 NHTSA 1976
- Langhaar, H.L. Dimensional Analysis and Theory of Models Wiley New York 1957
- Schneider, L.W. Robbins, D.H. Pflug, M.A. Snyder, R.G. “Development of Anthropometrically Based Design Specifications for an Advanced Adult Anthropomorphic Dummy Family” Final Report, DTNH22-80-C-07502 NHTSA 1983
- “Anthropometric Source Book Volume II: A Handbook of Anthropometric Data” NASA Reference Publication 1024 94 1978