This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Rollover and Drop Tests - The Influence of Roof Strength on Injury Mechanics Using Belted Dummies
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Stapp Car Crash Conference
This report presents the test methods and results of a study involving lap/shoulder belted dummies in dynamic dolly rollover tests and inverted vehicle drop tests. Data are presented showing dummy neck loadings resulting from head impacts to the vehicle interior as the vehicle contacts the ground. Comparison of the number and magnitude of axial neckloads are presented for rollcaged and production vehicles, as well as an analysis of the factors which influence neckloads under these conditions.
CitationBahling, G., Bundorf, R., Kaspzyk, G., Moffatt, E. et al., "Rollover and Drop Tests - The Influence of Roof Strength on Injury Mechanics Using Belted Dummies," SAE Technical Paper 902314, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/902314.
- Orlowski, K. F., Bundorf, R. T., and Moffatt, E. A., “Rollover Crash Tests - The Influence of Roof Strength on Injury Mechanics.” 29th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE 851734, 1985.
- Campbell, B. J., “Seat belts in Convertible Car Accidents.” Automotive Crash Injury Research of the Cornell Aeronautical Laboratory, Inc., Bulletin Number 3, October, 1962.
- Mackay, G. M. and Tampan, I. D. “Field Studies of Rollover Performance.” SAE 700417, 1970 International Automobile Safety Conference Compendium, P-30, Society of Automotive Engineers, 1970.
- Hight, P. V., Siegle, A. W., and Nahum, A. M. “Injury Mechanisms in Rollover Collisions.” Proceedings of the 16th Stapp Car Crash Conference, November, 1972.
- Huelke, D. F., Marsh, J. C., Dimento, L. J., Sherman, H. W., and Ballard, W. J. “Injury Causation in Rollover Accidents.” Proceedings of the 17th Conference of the American Association for Automotive Medicine, 1973.
- Huelke, D. F., Lawson, T. E., Scott, R., and Marsh, J. C, “The Effectiveness of Belt Systems in Frontal and Rollover Crashes.” SAE 770148, 1977.
- Huelke, D. F., Lawson, T. E., Marsh, J. C. “Injuries, Restraints and Vehicle Factors in Rollover Car Crashes.” Accid. Anal. & Prev., Vol. 9, pp. 93-107, 1977.
- Partyka, S. “Rollovers and Injury on the NCSS File.” NHTSA, 9/1978.
- McGuigan, R. and Bondy, N. “A Descriptive Study of Rollover Crashes.” National Center for Statistics and Analysis Collected Technical Studies, Vol. I, DOT HS 805 883, July, 1980.
- Strother, C. E., Smith, G. C., James, M. B., and Warner, C. Y. “Injury and Intrusion in Side Impacts and Rollovers.” SAE 840403, 1984.
- Evans, L. “Restraint Effectiveness, Occupant Ejection from Cars, and Fatality Reductions.” General Motors Research Laboratories, GMR-6398, September 1, 1988.
- Huelke, D. F., Marsh, J. C., and Sherman, H. W. “Analysis of Rollover Accident Factors and Injury Causation.” 16th Conference of the American Association for Automotive Medicine, 1972.
- Anderson, T. E. “Passenger Compartment Intrusion in Automobile Accidents.” DOT HS-801 238, Final Report, 1974.
- Moffatt, E. A. “Occupant Motion in Rollover Collisions.” Proceedings of the 19th Conference of the American Association for Automotive Medicine, 1975.
- Almusallam, A., Sances, A. Jr.,, Myklebust, J. B., Yoganandan, N., and Heinrich, S. M. “A Lumped Parameter Analysis of a Rollover Accident.” The American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Winter Annual Meeting, 1986.
- Najjar, D. “The Truth about Rollovers.” National Center for Statistics and Analysis Collected Technical Studies. Vol. I, O. DOT HS 805 883, July, 1980.
- McGuigan, R. “The Severity of Rollover Crashes on the National Crash Severity Study.” National Center for Statistics and Analysis Collected Technical Studies, Vol. I, DOT HS 805 883, July, 1980.
- Shoemaker, N. E. “Study of Human Kinematics in a Rolled Over Automobile.” Cornell Aeronautical Laboratory, Inc., Report No. YM-1246-D-1, June, 1959.
- Stone, K. “Occupant Protection During Vehicle Rollover.” 5th International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles, June, 1974.
- Johnson, A. K. and Knapton, D. A. “Occupant Motion during a Rollover Crash.” DOT HS 806 646, November, 1984.
- Obergefell, L. A. and Kaleps, I. “Prediction of an Occupant's Motion During Rollover Crashes.” Thirtieth Stapp Car Crash Conference, October, 1986.
- Obergefell, L. A., Rizer, A. L., and Kaleps, I. “Simulations of Rollover Tests.” Report No. DOT HS 807 372, NHTSA, May, 1988.
- Kaleps, I., Obergefell, L. A., and Ryerson, J. R. “Simulation of Restrained Occupant Dynamics During Vehicle Rollover.” Report No. DOT HS 807 049, NHTSA, June, 1986.
- Robbins, D. H. and Viano, D. C. “MVMA 2-D Modeling of Occupant Kinematics in Rollovers.” General Motors Research Laboratories, GMR-4672, April, 1984.
- Robbins, D. H. “Three-Dimensional Simulation of Occupant Kinematics in Rollovers.” University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute, UMTRI-88-5, January, 1988.
- McHenry, R. R. and Miller, P. M. “State of the Art - Automobile Structural Crashworthiness.” SAE 700412, 1970.
- Huelke, D. F. and Compton, C. P. “Injury Frequency and Severity in Rollover Car Crashes as Related to Occupant Ejection, Contacts, and Roof Damage.” Accident Analysis and Prevention, Vol. XIV, No. 5, 1983.
- Fan, W. R. S. and Jettner, E. “Light Vehicle Occupant Protection - Top and Rear Structures and Interior.” SAE 820244, Crash Protection SP-513, 1982.
- Discussion of SAE 820244.” Crash Protection SP-513, 1982.
- Plastiras, J. K., Lange, R. C, McCarthy, R. L., and Padmanaban, J. A. “An Examination of the Correlation between Vehicle Performance in FMVSS 216 versus Injury Rates in Rollover Accidents.” SAE 850335, 1985.
- Carl, R. A. and Williams, G. K. “Crashworthiness of Vehicle Structures: Passenger Car Roof Structures.” DOT HS-800-467, Final Report, March, 1971.
- Rodger, M. “Occupant Protection in Frontal Impact (Passive Restraint), Rear Impact and Rollover.” Fifth International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles, June, 1974.
- Kahane, C. J. “An Evaluation of Door Locks and Roof Crush Resistance of Passenger Cars - Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards 206 and 216.” National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, DOT HS 807 489, November, 1989.