This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
New Developments in Drum Brake Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper outlines the extension of the “GAPFRIC” concept to model in three dimensions the frictional interface between brake linings and drum of an S-cam operated pivoted abutment type of leading and trailing shoe brake assembly. The approach incorporates an accurate representation of the brake itself to include such features as drum stiffness and its mounting face. The brake shoe representations include the actual web and platform thus eliminating the need for shoe stiffness approximations to a curved beam of uniform section as used in previous 2D work.
Analyses have been completed to investigate how the combined axial and circumferential distortions, within a brake, influence the temperature and interfacial pressure distributions and consequent brake performance. Consideration is given to the significance of shoe and drum stiffness and the effects of different lining moduli are illustrated.
CitationWatson, C. and Newcomb, T., "New Developments in Drum Brake Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 902249, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/902249.
- Day, A.J. Harding, P. R..J. A Finite Element Approach to drum Brake Analysis Proc. Inst. Mech. Engrs. 193 37 1979 401
- Day, A.J. Harding, P.R.J. Newcomb, T.P. Combined Thermal and Mechanical Analysis of Drum Brakes Proc. Inst. Mech. Engrs. 198D 1984
- Day A.J. Energy Transformation at the Friction Interface of a Brake Loughborough University of Technology 1983
- Watson, C. Newcomb, T.P. A Three Dimensional Finite Element Approach to Drum Brake Analysis
- Ling, F.F. Pu, S.L. Probable Interface Temperatures of Solids in Sliding Contact Wear 1964 164 176
- Day, A.J. Harding, P.R.J. Performance Variation of Cam Operated Drum Brakes Proc. Inst. Mech. Engrs., Conference on Braking of Road Vehicles, 1983 Paper CIO/83 60
- Myers, P.A. The Effect of S Cam Brake Component Variation on Performance SAE 751012 1975
- Tanaka, K. Veda, S. Noguchi, N. Fundamental Studies on the Brake Friction of Resin Based Friction Materials Wear 24 1973 139 143