This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of Additive Effects on ATF Frictional Properties Using New Test Methods
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new test machine has been developed which can evaluate vibration due to stick-slip using an actual full-scale clutch pack. Using this machine, a static breakaway friction coefficient measurement test method and a stick-slip test method have been established. Both methods have been shown to provide results which correlate with the results from both a full-scale assembly test and a vehicle shudder evaluation test.
The evaluation of the frictional properties of commercial oils using these test methods showed that the static breakaway friction coefficient and the stick-slip properties have generally contradictory performance to each other for automatic transmission. The study of the frictional properties for typical additives and an analysis of the surface of the steel plates with ESCA (Electron Spectroscopy for Chemical Analysis) showed that the frictional properties are significantly affected by the additives adsorbed on the clutch plate sliding surface.
CitationNakada, T., Nomura, T., Yoshioka, T., and Nonoyama, M., "A Study of Additive Effects on ATF Frictional Properties Using New Test Methods," SAE Technical Paper 902150, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/902150.
- 1988 Global PERSPECTIVES Lubrizol Petroleum Chemicals Company 1988
- Hiramatsu T. et al “Control Technology of Minimal Sub-Type Torque Converter Clutch” SAE 850460 1985
- Watts R.F. et al “Development of a THM 700-R4 Band Friction Test for the SAE #2 Machine” SAE 881675 1988
- A Specification For MERCON® Automatic Transmission Fluid The Ford Motor Company 1987
- Miyazaki M. et al “Evaluation of Vibration-Preventive Properties of Lubricating oils in Wet Friction Plates and Retention of Such Properties Using a Friction Tester” SAE 881674 1988
- Watts R.F. et al “Predicational Low Speed Clutch Shudder in Automatic Transmission Using the Low Velocity Friction Apparatus” 17 Jun. 1990 7th International Colloquium Automotive Lubrication Technische Academie Esslingen Germany 1990
- Kohu S. et al “Study on Improvement of Friction Characteristic of Wet Clutch Facing Materials (Part 1. Production on Tester and Some Trials)” 31th National Convention 1986
- Yoshizawa Y. et al “Proposal of New Criteria and Test Methods for Dynamic Performance of ATF” SAE 900810 1990
- Nakamura S. et al “Toyota EC-HYMATIC a New Full Time 4WD System for Automatic Transmission” SAE 890526 1989
- Kondo T. et al “Toyota “ECT-i” a New Automatic Transmission with Intelligent Electronic Control System” SAE 900550 1990
- Ting L.L. “Engagement Behaviour of Lubricated Porous Annular Disk. Part 1: Squeeze Film Phase-Surface Roughness and Elastic Deformation Effects” Wear 34 159 1975