This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of a Fuel Additive On Emission Control Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Ethyl has conducted extensive fleet testing to investigate the effect of a manganese-based antiknock additive (MMT) on exhaust emissions from production cars. The fleet consisted of 48 cars - six cars each of eight models representing more than 50% of 1988 U.S. sales. Three of each model were tested for 75,000 miles using the base fuel. The other three used the base fuel plus 0.03125 gram manganese per gallon as MMT.
Results of this testing show that use of the additive will not cause or contribute to the failure of emission control systems. Exhaust back pressure data for the 48-car fleet as well as a test of a close-coupled catalyst at 80 mph showed no indication of catalyst distress or plugging. Catalyst conversion efficiency was generally higher for units aged on the MMT fuel. Particulate emission data showed that less than 0.5% of the input manganese was exhausted as airborne for the FTP cycle.
CitationLenane, D., "Effect of a Fuel Additive On Emission Control Systems," SAE Technical Paper 902097, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/902097.
- Faggan, J.E. et al “An Evaluation of Manganese as an Antiknock in Unleaded Gasoline,” SAE Paper 750925
- Lenane, D.L. “MMT - A Further Evaluation,” SAE Paper 770656
- Lenane, D.L. “Effect of MMT on Emissions from Production Cars,” SAE Paper 780003
- Benson, J.D. et al “Results of Coordinating Research Council MMT Field Test Program,” SAE Paper 790706
- Automotive News 1989 Market Data Book May 31 1989
- Randall, J.H. Carlson, R.R. “Simultaneous Measurement of Engine-Out and Tail Pipe Mass Emissions,” SAE Paper 790705
- Edwards, H.W. Harrison, R.M. “Catalysis of NO Decomposition by MN 3 O 4 ,” Environmental Science and Technology June 1979
- Hurley, R.G. et al “Characterization of Automotive Catalysts Exposed to the Fuel Additive MMT,” SAE Paper 890582