This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Catalytic Effects of Cr2O3 and PSZ on Gas-Phase Ignition Under Diesel Engine Combustion Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The effect of chromium oxide (Cr2O3) and partially stabilized zirconia (PSZ) surfaces on the gas-phase ignition of hydrocarbon fuels has been studied in a high pressure chemical flow reactor under low heat-loss Diesel engine simulated conditions. Results are presented for propane and n-hexane fuels at 6 and 10 atmospheres and are compared to previously reported results obtained under similar conditions with platinum surfaces.
Thermal enhancement of the gas-phase reactions, as evidenced by the catalytic production of CO and CO2, was found to be negligible for both Cr2O3 and PSZ, where as significant thermal enhancement was observed with platinum.
Chemical enhancement of the gas-phase ignition reactions, as evidenced by an increase in the production of intermediate hydrocarbons, was observed under fuel rich conditions with both Cr2O3 and PSZ. Oxygen was shown to be essential in that no change in the intermediate hydrocarbon concentration was observed under pyrolysis conditions. The relative magnitude of the observed chemical enhancement increases in order from PSZ to Cr2O3 to platinum.
These results indicate that in-cylinder Cr2O3 and PSZ coatings may have a significant effect on the ignition characteristics of low heat-loss Diesel engines.
CitationLee, W. and Santavicca, D., "Catalytic Effects of Cr2O3 and PSZ on Gas-Phase Ignition Under Diesel Engine Combustion Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 902084, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/902084.
- Davy, H. “Some new expeiments and observations on the combustion of gaseous mixtures, with an acount of a method of preserving a continued light in mixtures of inflammable gases and air without flame,” Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. 107 77 1817
- Gaffney, J. Sapienza, R. Butcher, T. Krishna, C. Marlow, W. O'Hare, T. “Soot Reduction in Diesel engines: A Chemical Approach,” Comb. Sci. and Tech. 24 89 92 1980
- Siegla, D. Plee, S. L. “Heterogeneous Catalysis in the Diesel Combustion Chamber,” Comb. Sci. and Tech. 27 97 102 1982
- Thring, R. H. “The Catalytic Engine - Platinum Improves Economy and Reduces Pollutants from a Range of Fuels,” Platinum Metals Review 27 4 126 133 1980
- Murray, R. G. “Performance & Emission Characteristics of a Semi-Adiabatic Engine,” ASME Technical Paper 80DGP-44 1980
- Rychter, T. J. Saragih, R. Lezanski, T. Wojcicki, S. “Catalytic Activation of a Charge in a Prechamber of a SI Lean-Burn Engine,” Eighteenth Symposium (International) on Combustion 1815 1824 1981
- Lee, W. Litzinger, T. A. Santavicca, D. A. “The Effect of Platinum Catalysts on Propane Oxidation at Elevated Pressure,” SAE Paper 881614 1988
- Lee, W. Santavicca, D. A. “The Effect of Platinum Catalysts on Gas-Phase Hydrocarbon Ignition,” Comb. Sci. and Tech. 1990
- Blazowski, W. S. Walsh, D. E. “Catalytic Combustion: An Important Consideration for Future Applications,” Comb. Sci. and Tech. 10 233 244 1975
- Carr, J. Jones, J. “Post Densified Cr 2 O 3 Coatings for Adiabatic Engines,” SAE Paper 840432 1984
- Stein, K. S. Feenan, J. J. Thompson, G. P. Shultz, J. F. Hofer, L.J.E. Anderson, R. B. “Catalytic Oxidation of Hydrocarbons-An Approach to Air Pollution Control,” Ind. Eng. Chem. 52 671 1960
- Trimm, D. L. “Catalytic Combustion (Review),” Applied Catalysis 7 249 282 1983
- Glassman, I. Combustion 2nd Academic Press Inc. Orlando 1987
- Hoffman, J. Lee, W. Litzinger, T. A. Santavicca D. A. Pitz, W. J. “Oxidation of Propane at Elevated Pressure - Experiments and Modelling,” Comb. Sci. and Tech. 1990
- Fujimoto, G. T. Selwyn, G. S. Keiser, J. T. Lin, M. C. “Temperature Effect on the Removal of Hydroxyl Radicals by a Polycrystalline Platinum Surface,” J. Phys. Chem. 87 1906 1910 1983
- Tevault, D. E. Talley, L. D. Lin, M. C. “Matrix Isolation and Laser Diagnostic Studies of Catalytic Oxidation of H 2 and D 2 on Platinum,” J. Chem. Phys. 72 5 3314 3319 1980
- Talley, L. D. Sanders, W. A. Bogan, D. J. Lin, M. C. “Internal Energy of Hydroxyl Radicals Desorbing from Polycrystalline Pt Surfaces,” Chem. Phys. Lett. 78 3 500 503 1981
- Pfefferle, L. D. Pfefferle, W. C. “Catalysis in Combustion,” Catal. Rev.-Sci . Eng. 29 2 3 219 267 1987
- DeCorpo, J. J. McDowell, M. V. Johnson, J. E. Saalfeld, F. E. “Mass Spectrometric Investigation of Hydrocarbon Ions Produced Via Catalytic Oxidation,” J. Catal . 34 61 67 1974
- Margolis, L. Ya “Present State of Ideas on the Mechanism of Catalytic Oxidation,” Catal. Rev. 8 2 241 267 1973
- Keulks, G. W. Krenzke, L. D. Notermann, T. M. “Selective Oxidation of Propylene,” Ady. Catal . 27 183 225 1978
- Gates, B. C. Katzer, J. R. Schuit, G. C. A. Chemistry of Catalytic Processes McGraw Hill New York 1979
- Gould, R. F. Oxidation of Organic Compounds - II Adv. Chem. Ser. 76 American Chemical Society Washington, D.C. 1968
- Hart, P. J. Friedli, H. Fl. “Desorption of Allyl Radicals in the Heterogeneous-Catalysed Oxidation of Propene: Mass Spectrometric Study,” J. Chem. Soc. Section D, Chem. Commun., No. 11/1970 621 1970
- Dolejsek, Z. Novakova, J “Mass Spectrometric Observation of Allyl Radicals During the Interaction of Propene with Some Oxides at Low Pressure,” J. Catal. 37 540 543 1975
- Dent, A. L. Kokes, R. J. “The Nature of Adsorbed Propylene on Zinc Oxide. I. Formation of π-Allyl Species. II. Reaction of π-Allyl Species,” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 92 6709 6718 1970
- Kugler, B. L. Gryder, J. W. “Investigation of the Mechanism of Propylene Oxidation on Zinc Oxide,” J. Catal. 44 126 138 1976
- Kugler, B. L. Kokes, R. J. “Inter-mediates in the Oxidation of Propylene over Zinc Oxide,” J. Catal. 32 170 173 1974
- Driscoll, D. J. Campbell, K. D. Lunsford, J. H. “Surface-Generated Gas-Phase Radicals: Formation, Detection, and Role in Catalysis,” Adv. Catal . 35 139 186 1987
- Fansler, T. “Laser Velocimetry Measurements on Swirl and Squish Flows in an Engine with a Cylindrical Piston Bowl,” SAE Paper 850124 1985
- Fraser, R. A. Felton, P. G. Bracco, F. V. Santavicca, D. A. “Preliminary Turbulence Length Scale Measurements in a Motored IC Engine,” SAE Paper 860021 1986
- Ikegami, M. Shioji, M. Nishimoto, K. “Turbulence Intensity and Spatial Integral Scale During Compression and Expansion Strokes in a Four-Cylinder Reciprocating Engine,” SAE Paper 870372 1987
- Dinsdale, S. Roughton, A. Collings, N. “Length Scale and Turbulence Intensity Measurements in a Motored Internal Combustion Engine,” SAE Paper 880380 1988
- Fraser, R. A. Bracco, F. V. “Cycle-Resolved LDV Integral Length Scale Measurements in an I. C. Engine,” SAE Paper 880381 1988
- Fansler, T. D. French, D. T. “Cycle-Resolved Laser-Velocimetry Measurements in a Reentrant-Bowl-in-Piston Engine,” SAE Paper 880377 1988