This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Wingtip Vortex Turbine Investigation for Vortex Energy Recovery
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A flight test investigation has been conducted to determine the performance of wingtip vortex turbines and their effect on aircraft performance. The turbines were designed to recover part of the large energy loss (induced drag) caused by the wingtip vortex. The turbine, driven by the vortex flow, reduces the strength of the vortex, resulting in an associated induced drag reduction. A four-blade turbine was mounted on each wingtip of a single-engine, T-tail, general aviation airplane. Two sets of turbine blades were tested, one with a 15° twist (washin) and one with no twist. The power recovered by the turbine and the installed drag increment were measured. A trade-off between turbine power and induced drag reduction was found to be a function of turbine blade incidence angle. This test has demonstrated that the wingtip vortex turbine is an attractive alternate, as well as an emergency, power source.
|Technical Paper||Spin Resistance Evaluation of a Light Airplane|
|Technical Paper||Investigations of Modifications to Improve the Spin Resistance of a High-Wing, Single-Engine, Light Airplane|
CitationAbeyounis, W., Patterson, J., Stough, H., Wunschel, A. et al., "Wingtip Vortex Turbine Investigation for Vortex Energy Recovery," SAE Technical Paper 901936, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/901936.
- Whitcomb, Richard T A Design Approach and Selected Wind-Tunnel Results at High Speeds for Wingtip Mounted Winglets NASA TN D8260 1976
- Patterson, James C., Jr. Hastings, E. C., Jr. Jordan, F. L., Jr. Ground Development and Flight Correlation of a Vortex Attenuating Spline Device NASA SP-409 September 25-26 1972
- Weston, Robert P. Refinement of a Method for Determining the Induced and Profile Drag of a Finite Wing From Detailed Wake Measurements Doctoral Dissertation presented to the Graduate Council of the University of Florida 1981
- Stough, H. Paul, III DiCarlo, Daniel J. Patton, James M., Jr. Flight Investigation of Stall, Spin, and Recovery Characteristics of a Low-wing, Single-Engine, T-Tail Light Airplane NASA TP 2427 1985
- Patterson, James C., Jr. Flechner, Stuart G. Exploratory Wind-Tunnel Investigation of a Wingtip-Mounted Vortex Turbine for Vortex Energy Recovery NASA TP 2468 1985
- Bilamin, Alan J. Integral Analysis of the Performance of a Vortex Turbine in a Vortex Flow C.D.I. Report No. 88-03