This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Calculation and Measurement of Induced Drag at Low Speeds
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An overview is presented of the calculation and the measurement of induced drag with emphasis on moderate-to-high aspect ratio wings with vortex shedding restricted to the trailing-edge. The discussion concentrates on farfield techniques and is limited to low Mach number, steady flows in the absence of active systems such as surface blowing and propulsion. The calculation techniques are applied to three-dimensional flow field solutions obtained with potential and Euler codes. The effect of wake rollup on the induced drag is discussed. Also, induced drag measurements using wake-survey techniques are reviewed.
Citationvan Dam, C., Nikfetrat, K., Vijgen, P., and Fremaux, C., "Calculation and Measurement of Induced Drag at Low Speeds," SAE Technical Paper 901935, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/901935.
- Zimmer, H., “The Aerodynamic Optimization of Wings in the Subsonic Speed Range and the Influence of the Design of the Wing Tips,” Dr.-Ing. Dissertation, University of Stuttgart, FRG, June 1983 (in German).
- Yates, J. E. and Donaldson, C. duP., “A Fundamental Study of Drag and an Assessment of Conventional Drag-Due-to-Lift Reduction Devices,” NASA CR-4004, Sept. 1986.
- van Dam, C. P., “Induced-Drag Characteristics of Crescent-Moon-Shaped Wings,” Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 24, No. 2, Febr. 1987, pp. 115-119.
- Eppler, R., “Evolution of Airfoil Theory,” Zeitschrift fur Flugwissenschaften und Weltraumforschung, Vol. 11, No. 3, May/June 1987, pp. 133-144 (in German).
- Vijgen, P.M.H.W., van Dam, C. P. and Holmes, B. J., “Sheared Wing-Tip Aerodynamics: Wind-Tunnel and Computational Investigation,” Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 26, No. 3, March 1989, pp. 207-213 (see also Erratum in Vol. 26, No. 8, Aug. 1989, p. 792).
- McCutchen, C. W., “Induced Drag and the Ideal Wake of a Lifting Wing,” Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 27, No. 7, July 1990, pp. 627-631.
- Burkett, C. W., “Reduction in Induced Drag by the Use of Aft Swept Wing Tips,” Aeronautical Journal, Vol. 93, Dec. 1989, pp. 400-405.
- van Dam, C. P., Vijgen, P.M.H.W. and Holmes, B. J., “Wind-Tunnel Investigation on the Effect of the Crescent Planform on Drag,” AIAA paper 90-0300, Jan. 1990.
- Sears, W. R., Comment on “Induced Drag and the Ideal Wake of a Lifting Wing,” Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 27, No. 2, Febr. 1990, pp. 191-192.
- Lowson, M. V., “Minimum Induced Drag for Wings with Spanwise Camber,” Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 27, No. 7, July 1990, pp. 627-631.
- DeHaan, M. A., “Induced Drag of Wings with Highly Swept and Tapered Wing Tips,” AIAA paper 90-3062-CP, Aug. 1990.
- Slooff, J. W., “Computational Drag Analyses and Minimization; Mission Impossible,” Aircraft Drag Prediction and Minimization, AGARD Report No. 723, April 1986.
- Sears, W. R., “On Calculation of Induced Drag and Conditions Downstream of a Lifting Wing,” Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 11, No. 3, March 1974, pp. 191-193.
- Krause, W., “Panel Methods in Aerodynamics,” Numerical Methods in Fluid Dynamics, Wirz H. J. and Smolderen J. J. (Eds.), Hemisphere, 1978, pp. 237-298.
- Maskew, B., “Prediction of Subsonic Aerodynamic Characteristics - A Case for Low-Order Panel Methods,” Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 19, No. 2, Febr. 1982, pp. 157-163.
- Hoeijmakers, H. W., “Computational Aerodynamics of Ordered Vortex Flows,” Ph.D. Thesis, Delft University of Technology, 1989 (Also, NLR Report TR 88088U, Apr. 1989).
- Cone, C. D. Jr., “The Theory of Induced Lift and Minimum Induced Drag of Nonplanar Lifting Surfaces,” NASA TR R-139, Febr. 1962.
- Munk, M. M., “The Minimum Induced Drag of Aerofoils,” NACA Rept. 121, 1922.
- Wu, J. C, Hackett, J. E. and Lilley, D. E., “A Generalized Wake-Integral Approach for Drag Determination in Three-Dimensional Flows,” AIAA paper 79-0279, Jan. 1979.
- Lamb, H., Hydrodynamics, 6th Ed., Dover, 1945.
- Obayashi, S., Fujii, K. and Gavali, S., “Navier-Stokes Simulation of Wind-Tunnel Flow Using LU-ADI Factorization Algorithm,” NASA TM 100042, Febr. 1988.
- Barth, T. J., Pulliam, T. H. and Buning, P. G., “Navier-Stokes Computations for Exotic Airfoils,” AIAA paper 85-0109, Jan. 1985.
- Fage, A. and Simmons, B. A., “An Investigation of the Air-Flow Pattern in the Wake of an Aerofoil of Finite Span,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society, A, Vol. 225, 1925, pp. 303-330.
- Maskell, E. C., “Progress Towards a Method for the Measurement of the Components of the Drag of a Wing of Finite Span,” RAE Technical Report 72232, Dec. 1972.
- Weston, R. P., “Refinement of a Method for Determining the Induced and Profile Drag of a Finite Wing from Detailed Wake Measurements,” Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Florida, 1981.
- Crowder, J. P., “Flow Visualization in Flight Testing,” AIAA paper 90-1273, May 1990.