This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dynamic Simulations of Belted Occupants with Submarining
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The three dimensional crash victim simulation program, MADYMO 3D, was utilized to model the kinematics of a crash dummy. The crash dummy was modeled as a linkage system with a sliding contact between the pelvis and the lap belt to allow the simulation of submarining. For this study, submarining can be defined as the relative movement of the lap belt portion of an active or passive restraint system above the anterior superior iliac spine, ASIS, and onto the abdomen of the occupant.
The results from the models were compared with results from generic rear seat HYGE sled tests. The results from the Hybrid II and Hybrid III dummy models were reasonably comparable to the sled test results. These dummy models were able to simulate the occurrence of submarining in the sled tests. The dummy models also were able to simulate trends in dummy accelerations once the times of submarining were matched. This modeling procedure may provide useful data in future automobile occupant restraint system design work.
CitationO'Connor, C. and Rao, M., "Dynamic Simulations of Belted Occupants with Submarining," SAE Technical Paper 901749, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/901749.
- MacLaughlin, T. F. Sullivan, L. K. O'Connor, C. S. “Rear Seat Submarining Investigation,” Report No. DOT HS 807 347 May 1988
- Leung, Y. C. Tarriere, C. Lestrelin, D. Got, C. Guillon, F. Patel, A. Hureau, J. “Submarining Injuries of 3 Pt. Belted Occupants in Frontal Collisions - Descriptions, Mechanisms and Protection,” SAE Technical Paper # 821158 173 205 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1982
- “MADYMO Databases,” TNO Road-Vehicle Research Institute, Department of Injury Prevention October 1988
- Prasad, P. “MADYMO 2D Simulation of Sled Tests,” 1988 SAE International Congress & Exposition Detroit
- Daniel, R. P. “Test Dummy Submarining Indicator System,” October 15 1974