This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Next-Generation Emission Test Procedure for Small Utility Engines - Part 1, Background and Approach
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Measurement of emissions from small utility engines has usually been accomplished using steady-state raw emissions procedures such as SAE Recommended Practice J1088. While raw exhaust measurements have the advantage of producing modal exhaust gas concentration data for design feedback; they are laborious, may influence both engine performance and the emissions themselves, and have no provision for concurrent particulate measurements. It is time to consider a full-dilution procedure similar in principle to automotive and heavy-duty on-highway emission measurement practice, leading to improvements in many of the areas noted above, and generally to much higher confidence in data obtained. When certification and audit of small engine emissions become a reality, a brief dilute exhaust procedure generating only the necessary data will be a tremendous advantage to both manufacturers and regulatory agencies. Joint action on this procedural development by ARB, EPA, SAE, and manufacturers and their trade groups is urged.
|Technical Paper||Correlation of Exhaust Emission Test Facilities|
|Technical Paper||Assessment of Particulate Matter Emissions from a Sample of In-Use ULEV and SULEV Vehicles|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||FTIR Gas Analyzer Performance Evaluation / Qualification for Automotive Testing|
CitationHare, C. and White, J., "A Next-Generation Emission Test Procedure for Small Utility Engines - Part 1, Background and Approach," SAE Technical Paper 901595, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/901595.
New Developments in Two Stroke Engines and Their Emissions
Number: SP-0835 ; Published: 1990-09-01
Number: SP-0835 ; Published: 1990-09-01
- Hare, C.T., Springer, K.J., Oliver, W.R., Houtman, W.H., “Small Engine Emissions and Their Impact.” SAE Paper No. 730859 presented at the National Combined Farm, Construction & Industrial Machinery and Fuels and Lubricants Meetings, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, September 10-13, 1973.
- Hare, C.T., Springer, K.J., Huls, T.A., “Snowmobile Engine Emissions and Their Impact.” SAE Paper No. 740735 presented at the National Combined Farm, Construction & Industrial Machinery and Powerplant Meetings, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, September 9-12, 1974.
- Hare, C.T., Springer, K.J., Huls, T.A., “Exhaust Emissions from 2-Stroke Outboard Motors and Their Impact.” SAE Paper No. 740737 presented at the National Combined Farm, Construction & Industrial Machinery and Powerplant Meetings, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, September 9-12, 1974.
- Hare, C.T., Springer, K.J., Oliver, W.R., Houtman, W.H., Huls, T.A., “Motorcycle Emissions, Their Impact, and Possible Control Techniques.” SAE Paper No. 740627 presented at the West Coast Meeting, Anaheim, California, August 12-16, 1974.
- Donohue, J.A., Hardwick, G.C., Newhall, H.K., Sanvordenker, K.S., Woelffer, N.C., “Small Engine Exhaust Emissions and Air Quality in the United States.” SAE Paper No. 720198 presented at the Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, Michigan, January 10-14, 1972.
- Automotive Environmental Systems, Inc. 1973. Uncontrolled Vehicle Emission Study. Westminster, California.
- Walter, R.A., “U.S. Coast Guard Pollution Abatement Program - Two-Stroke Cycle Outboard Engine Emissions.” Report No. CG-D-122-75. Final report prepared for U.S. Department of Transportation, United States Coast Guard, September 1975.
- Weber, W.J., Jr., Cole, D.E., and Posner, J.C., Analysis of Emissions from Outboard Two Cycle Marine Engines. Environmental and Water Resources Engineering Laboratory and the Automotive Engineering Laboratory, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- Mooney, J.J., Hansel, J.G., Hoyer, R.D., “Catalytic Control of Two-Stroke Motorcycle Exhaust Emissions.” SAE Paper No. 750910 presented at the Automobile Engineering Meeting, Detroit, Michigan, October 13-17, 1975.
- Tsuchiya, K., Hirano, S., “Characteristics of 2-Stroke Motorcycle Exhaust HC Emission and Effects of Air-Fuel Ratio and Ignition Timing.” SAE Paper No. 750908 presented at the Automobile Engineering Meeting, Detroit, Michigan, October 13-17, 1975.
- Assembly Bill No. 2595, California Legislature, March 6, 1987, Amended in Senate August 26, 1988.
- “Test Procedure for the Measurement of Exhaust Emissions from Small Utility Engines - SAE Recommended Practice J1088 JUN83,” Society of Automotive Engineers, June 1983.
- Code of Federal Regulations 40, Part 86, Subpart N, July 1, 1988.
- “A Proposal to Establish Exhaust Emission Standards and Test Procedures for Utility and Lawn and Garden Equipment,” Mail Out No. 90-38, California Air Resources Board, May 2, 1990.