This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Rechargeable Zinc-Air Batteries in Electric Vehicle Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Dreisbach ElectroMotive, Inc. (DEMI) is developing a maintenance-free rechargeable Zinc-Air Battery that operates at room temperature. This new battery has an energy density of 200 Wh/kg or about eight times conventional Nickel-Cadmium or Lead-Acid technology now used in electric vehicle applications.
This paper will cover the performance characteristics of DEMI's Zinc-Air Batteries to date and the results of a 48-cell test in a Chrysler minivan* which was converted to electric drive under the sponsorship of Southern California Edison. In addition, work in progress on a 168 cell long range vehicle configuration will be presented.
|Technical Paper||A High Performance Zinc-Air Powered Electric Vehicle|
|Technical Paper||Second-Generation Zinc-Air Powered Electric Minivans|
|Technical Paper||Zinc-Air Powered Electric Vehicle Systems Integration Issues|
CitationCheiky, M., Danczyk, L., and Wehrey, M., "Rechargeable Zinc-Air Batteries in Electric Vehicle Applications," SAE Technical Paper 901516, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/901516.
- Linden, D. Bender, S.F. Cretzmeyer, J.W. “Zinc/Air Cells” Handbook of Batteries and Fuel Cells McGraw-Hill New York 1984 10-1 10-8
- Cheiky, M.C. Danczyk, L.G. Wehrey, M.C. “Metal-Air Batteries in Electric Vehicle Applications” Proceedings of the 5th Annual Battery Conference on Applications and Advances California State University Long Beach January 16-18 1990
- Cheiky, M.C. “Metal-Alloy Air Battery” U.S. Patent #4,894,295 January 16 1990
- Dvorak, P. “The Shocking Truth about Electric Vehicles” Machine Design September 21 1989 86
- Cheiky, M.C. “Metal-Air Power Supply” U.S. Patent #4,913,983 April 3 1990
- Lienert, P. “The Inside Track” AutoWeek December 27 1982
- Intellichoice, Inc. “Appendix B, Lowest/Highest Fuel and Maintenance Cost & Plymouth Voyager 3 Door Van” The Complete Car Cost Guide 1989 64A 65A 145