This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Verification/Validation of ESATAN Fluid Capability Against RETRAN
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Fluid Heat Transport Systems (FHTS) extension to the ESATAN thermal analyser was released to industry in 1989. A significant as effort has been directed towards obtaining, far as possible, an error free code which gives results in reasonable agreement with reference data.
The first steps to ensure confidence in FHTS have been taken by system testing during software acceptance and by means of a comparison with RETRAN, a US code unique in possessing a US safety evaluation report for reactor licensing applications. RETRAN output data was taken as the a priori reference data to verify FHTS.
Two sets of test cases have been defined, one concerning single-phase problems (basically the Columbus water loop), the second set containing models with two-phase conditions (a simple idealised loop and boundary conditions). The paper highlights the difficulties encountered during the comparison work, presents the major results and discusses the main issues involved in FHTS verification/validation.
CitationBirchley, J., Ward, G., Kirtley, C., and Lebru, A., "Verification/Validation of ESATAN Fluid Capability Against RETRAN," SAE Technical Paper 901374, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/901374.
- ESATAN FHTS Fluid Network Analysis Turner J.R. Swift T.J. Andrews T.M. Lebru A.J. 19th ICES Conference San Diego July 24-26 1989
- RETRAN - 02 A Program for Transient Thermal-Hydraulic Analysis of Complex Fluid Flow Systems 4 Applications EPRI January 1983
- ESATAN Engineering Manual Kirtley C.J.
- RETRAN modelling of single and two phase coolant loops as a contribution to the FHTS validation exercise Ward Gavin Birchley Jon December 1989
- FHTS Comparison Test Suite Kirtley C.J. 90 04 12
- FHTS verification: a synthesis of a comparison work with RETRAN Lebru A.J.
- Software Test Plan ESATAN Stock N.J. 90 01 09
- RETRAN -02 A Program for Transient Thermal-Hydraulic Analysis of Complex Fluid Flow Systems 1 Theory and Numerics EPRI June 1987
- ESATAN User Manual 89 12 08