This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Moments of Inertia of Mounted and Unmounted Passenger Car and Motorcycle Tires
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The mass moments of inertia of 44 mounted and unmounted passenger, racing and motorcycle tires were measured about the spin axis. In addition, for some of the unmounted tires, mass moment of inertia about an axis perpendicular to the spin axis was also measured. Simplistic models for calculation of tire mass moment of inertia were developed, and may be adequate if only approximate results are required. Following measurement of inertias using a torsional pendulum technique, linear correlation of inertia values with tire weight and diameter was performed. A simple pair of linear correlation equations (one for mounted tires, one for unmounted tires) gives highly accurate values for mass moment of inertia about the tire spin axis. Finally, a rule of thumb expression for estimating moment of inertia about a vertical axis was also developed.
CitationMetz, L., Akouris, C., Agney, C., and Clark, M., "Moments of Inertia of Mounted and Unmounted Passenger Car and Motorcycle Tires," SAE Technical Paper 900760, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/900760.
- Metz, L. D. Vehicle Dynamics Class Notes University of Illinois Office of Continuing Engineering Education 1987
- Korst, H. H. White, R. A. “Final Report: Full-Scale Drag Component Evaluation by Coastdown Testing on Level and Inclined Roads and Tracks,” DOT Report No. UILU-ENG-78-4009 , DOT Contract No. DOT-OS-60132 1978
- Clark, S. K. “Mechanics of Pneumatic Tires,” NBS Monograph No. 122 National Bureau of Standards Washington, D.C. 1971
- Meriam, J. L. Mechanics, Part II: Dynamics 2nd John Wiley & Sons New York, NY 1959 412 413
- _______, “Tire Examination Following Accident,” The Traffic Institute, Northwestern University Evanston, IL 6
- Baumeister, T. Mechanical Engineers Handbook 6th McGraw-Hill Book Co. New York, NY 6 6
- O'Leary, T. J. “The Student Edition of Lotus 1-2-3,” Addison-Wesley Publishing Co. Reading, MA