This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Mean Value Modelling of Spark Ignition Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
While a large number of dynamic simulation models have been presented for various four-cycle spark ignition engine subsystems in the literature, very few have been presented for the entire engine which can claim an acceptable level of accuracy for engineering purposes. This paper presents a nonlinear three state (three differential equation) dynamic model of an SI engine which has the same steady state accuracy as a typical dynamometer measurement of the engine over its entire speed/load operating range (±2.0%). The model's accuracy for fast transients is of the same order in the same operating region.
Because the model is so mathematically compact, it has few adjustable parameters and is thus simple to fit to a given engine either on the basis of measurements or given the steady state results of a larger cycle simulation package. The model can easily be run on a Personal Computer (PC) using a ordinary differential equation (ODE) integrating routine or package.
The paper shows how the model can be fitted using either experimental data or simulation results. Moreover it includes the results of simulations run on experimental data with large and fast throttle (tip-in/out) transients which show its excellent steady state and dynamic accuracy. The model is also useful for control system design and evaluation.
|Technical Paper||The Analysis of Mean Value SI Engine Models|
|Technical Paper||Modelling of the Intake Manifold Filling Dynamics|
|Technical Paper||SI Engine Controls and Mean Value Engine Modelling|
CitationHendricks, E. and Sorenson, S., "Mean Value Modelling of Spark Ignition Engines," SAE Technical Paper 900616, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/900616.
- Debonair, D. J. “An Engine Model for Dynamic Engine Control Development” ASME 11 15 1986
- Cho, D. Hedrick, J. K. “A Nonlinear Controller Design Method for Fuel-Injected Automotive Engines” ASME 87 43 1987
- Aquino, C. F. “Transient A/F Control Characteristics of the 5 Liter Central Fuel Injection Engine” SAE Technical Paper, 810494 1981
- Heridricks, E. L. “Mean Value Modelling of Large Turbocharged Two-Stroke Diesel Engines.” SAE Technical Paper 890564 1989
- Dobner, D. J. “Dynamic Engine Models for Control Development, Part 1: Nonlinear Model Formulation” International Journal of Vehicle Design 1982
- Dobner, J. D. Fruechte, R. D. “An Engine Model for Dynamic Control System Development” ASME 11 15 1983
- Rasmussen, I. Emission fra Biler (Emissions from Cars, In Danish) Laboratory for Energetic Technical University of Denmark Lyngby, Denmark 1971
- Wu, H. Aquino, F. Chou, G. L. “A 1.6 Liter Engine and Intake Manifold Dynamic Model” ASME 83 39 1983
- Servati, H. Aquino, C. F. “A Physically Based Wall Wetting Model to Predict Induction System Dynamics for Gasoline Engines” ASME 80 2 1980
- Fozo, S. R. Aquino, C. F. “Transient A/F Characteristics for Cold Operation of a 1.6 Liter Engine with Sequential Fuel Injection” SAE Technical Paper, 880691 1988
- Servati, H. B. Yuen, W. W. “Deposition of Fuel Droplets in Horizontal Intake Manifolds and the Behavior of Fuel Film on Its Walls” SAE Technical Paper 840239 1984
- Kirwan, J. E. Drallmier, J. A. Coverdill, R. E. Crawford, R. R. Peters, J. E. “Spray Characteristics of Throttle Body Fuel Injection” SAE Technical Paper 890318 1989
- Melgaard, H. Hendricks, E. Madsen, H. “Parameter Estimation and Condition Monitoring of Spark Ignition Engines.”, to be published 1990
- Hires, S. D. Overington, M. T. “Transient Mixture Strength Excursions - An Investigation of their Causes and the Development of a Constant Mixture Strength Fueling Strategy” SAE Technical Paper, 810495 1981
- Aquino, C. F. Fozo, S. R. “Steady-State and Transient A/F Control Requirements for Cold Operation of a 1.6 Liter Engine with Single-Point Fuel Injection” SAE Technical Paper, 850509 1985
- Taylor, C. F. Taylor, E. S. The Internal Combustion Engine Second Int. Textbook Co. Scranton, Pa. 1970
- Marquardt, D. W. “An Algorithm for Least Squares Estimation of Nonlinear Parameters” Journal of the Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics 11 431 441 1963
- Ferguson, C. R. Internal Combustion Engines John Wiley & Sons N.Y., N.Y. 1968
- Servati, H. B. Delosh, R. G. “A Regression Model for Volumetric Efficiency” SAE Technical Paper, 860328 1986
- Sorenson, S. FLOSIM, Laboratory for Energetics Technical University of Denmark Lyngby, Denmark 1988
- Harrington, D. L. Bolt J. A. “Analysis and Digital Simulation of Carburetor Metering” SAE Technical Paper 700082 1970