This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Advantages of a Nickel Strike Prior to Electrodeposition of the Nickel Zinc Alloy Layer on Steel for Automotive Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Long term outdoor exposure testing of various zinc-nickel plated products has indicated that better underfilm creep resistance is obtained when a nickel strike deposit is plated on the steel surface prior to plating the zinc-nickel alloy. These data are compared to other corrosion resistant coatings. Corrosion evaluation by short term Cyclic Corrosion or scab testing is also discussed.
The adhesion of the various electroplated surfaces has also been investigated. It has been found that the presence of the nickel strike deposit improves the adhesion characteristic of this electroplated zinc-nickel alloy as demonstrated by the fact that the location of failure moves from an adhesive delamination of the electroplated alloy to a cohesive failure in the structural adhesive. The movement of the failure site appears to correlate with the improvement of the underfiim creep values in the Volvo test.
|Technical Paper||Zinc-Nickel Alloy Coatings-A Technical Review of Published Literature|
|Technical Paper||Chipping Resistance of Zn - Ni Alloy Electroplated Steel Sheet|
|Technical Paper||RUST RESISTANCE OF NICKEL-PLATED STEEL|
CitationKlippel, W. and Hamilton, C., "Advantages of a Nickel Strike Prior to Electrodeposition of the Nickel Zinc Alloy Layer on Steel for Automotive Applications," SAE Technical Paper 892562, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/892562.
- Lowenheim F. A. “Modern Electroplating,” ohn Wiley and Sons 3rd 1974
- Klippel W. Hamilton C. “The Effect of Phosphate P retreatment on Underfilm Corrosion of Painted NiZn Alloy Coated Steel Strip” Proceedings of SAE Automotive Corrosion and Prevention Conference, Paper # 862007 1986
- Dennis J. K. Such T. E. “Nickel and Chromium Plating” Butterworths 2nd 1986
- Lundgren Anders H: son “Volvo Laboratory Study of Zinc Coated Steel Sheet Adhesive Bonding Properties” Volvo Car Corporation Proceedings of SAE International Congress and Exposition, Paper # 890703 1989
- “Heteroepitaxial Growth of Zinc and Zinc-Nickel Alloy Electrodeposits on Steel Sheets,” Kamei K. Ohmori Y. Sumitomo Metal Ind., Ltd.
- Arnold, J.R. “Adhesively Bonded Coated Steels,” Automotive Engineering July 1989 97 7 39 44