This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Reinforced Composites for Piston Engine Components
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Several different piston engine components were fabricated and evaluated in engine survival tests to demonstrate the capability and flexibility of the proprietary LANXIDE™ ceramic and metal matrix composite technology for advanced engine applications. The demonstration components are ceramic matrix composites, containing either alumina or silicon carbide particulate fillers in an alumina matrix. The four demonstration components - cam follower, camshaft, valve seat insert, and exhaust port liners - were made to near net shape and characterized for mechanical and thermal properties. The valve seat insert was made in larger quantities to evaluate process reproducibility.
|Technical Paper||Piston Ring Cylinder Liner Scuffing Phenomenon: Investigation, Simulation and Prevention|
|Technical Paper||Materials for Cylinder Liners|
|Technical Paper||100 Hour Endurance Testing of a High Output Adiabatic Diesel Engine|
CitationSchumacher, C., "Reinforced Composites for Piston Engine Components," SAE Technical Paper 892495, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/892495.
- Newkirk M. S. Urquhart A. W. Zwicker H. R. Breval E. “Formation of Lanxide™ Ceramic Composite Materials,” J. Mater. Res. 1 1 81 89 1986
- Newkirk M. S. Lesher H. D. White D. R. Kennedy C. R. Urquhart A. W. Claar T. D. “Preparation of Lanxide™ Ceramic Matrix Composites: Matrix Formation by the Directed Oxidation of Molten Metals,” Ceram. Eng. Sci. Proc. 8 7-8 879 85 1987
- Andersson C. A. Aghajanian M. K. “The Fracture Toughening Mechanism of Ceramic Composites Containing Adherent Ductile Metal Phases,” Ceram. Eng. Sci. Proc. 9 7-8 621 26 1988
- Schiroky G. H. Urquhart A. W. Sorenson B. W. “Ceramic Composites for Gas Turbine Engines Via a New Process,” ASME Paper No. 89-GT-316 1989
- Aghajanian M. K. Burke J. T. White D. R. Nagelburg A. S. “A New Infiltration Process for the Fabrication of Metal Matrix Composites,” Tomorrow's Materials Today International SAMPE Symposium and Exhibition Series 34 817 23 1989
- Dwivedi R. K. Ramburg J. R. Gesing A. J. Webster G. D. “Characterization and Performance of Macrocomposites for Piston Engine Applications,” Proc. 3rd Int. Symp. Ceram. Mater. and Components for Engines 1988
- Landini D. J. Lesher H. D. Gesing A. J. “Ceramic Composite Valve Seat Inserts,” Proc. 3rd Int. Symp. Ceram. Mater. and Components for Engines 1988
- “Metal Matrix Composites Produced by Pressureless Infiltration,” Materials and Processing Report 4 3 2 3 1989
- “Porous Insulating Composites Produced by Lanxide™ Technology,” Materials and Processing Report 3 4 5 6 1988
- “Lanxide Applies Its Process to Other Composite Systems,” Advanced Materials 10 21 1 1988
- Maloney L. D. “Make Way for ‘Engineered Ceramics’,” Design News 45 5 64 74 1989