This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Thermal Analysis of Timing Belt
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes an analysis of the rise in timing belt temperature occuring under high engine speed operation that was made to establish the cause of heat deterioration of the belt materials.
Surface temperatures of the belt were accurately measured by correcting thermo-vision detected radiations to eliminate environmental radiation. The temperature profile of a belt cross-section was obtained by a specially developed thermo-couple device. The experimental results indicated that heat generated by the belt contributes significantly to the temperature rise and that the primary cause of the heat generation is bending hysteresis of the belt cords.
In addition, a description is made of a method of calculating the rate of heat generation in the belt. In this simulation method, the energy dissipated as heat is calculated from the bending strains and loss moduli of the belt materials. Calculated results were found to agree well with experimental results.
|Technical Paper||Analysis of Stress Distribution of Timing Belts by FEM|
|Technical Paper||Ford Zetec-E, I4 Engine Timing Belt Drive|
|Technical Paper||Special Noise Problems in Automotive Timing Belts|
CitationAbe, S., Tokoro, M., Yaegashi, T., and Ogawa, K., "Thermal Analysis of Timing Belt," SAE Technical Paper 891988, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/891988.
- Koyama T. et al. “A Study on Strength of Toothed Belt” Transaction of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers (in Japanese) 46 412 Dec 1960 1573
- Mizuno N. et al. “Analysis of Synchronous Belt Vibration in Automotive Valve Train” SAE Paper No. 880077
- Murakami Y. et al. “Study of Belt Toughness Through an Examination of the Strain on Belt Cords” SAE Paper No. 880415
- Kawai S. et al. “A Prediction Method for Timing Belt Life” JSAE No.872077 (in Japanese)
- Kwon Y.D. et al. “An Apparatus and Method for Measurement of Nonlinear Viscoelastic Properties of Polymers in Cyclic Deformation under a Relatively Large Strain Amplitude” ACSM 1977
- Prevorsek D.C. et al. “Bias Passenger Tires: Effect of Construction on the Cord Deformation and Temperature Rise During Rolling” ASTM STP694, ASRM 1979 l
- Alan L.B. et al. “Modeling the Thermal State of Tires for Power Loss Calculations” SAE Paper No. 810163