This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Accuracy of A/F Calculation from Exhaust Gas Composition of SI Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The accuracy of real-time A/F measurement at engine test benches has been improved with a modified equation to calculate A/F from exhaust gas composition. In addition to CO, CO2, total hydrocarbon (THC) and O2, the proposed equation includes NO and NO2 concentration as variables. In an attempt to improve the accuracy of the assumed constants in the equation, experiments have been conducted using automotive exhaust H2O and H2 analyzers. The accuracy of the proposed equation was proven through experiments and it was also found useful for precise evaluation of three-way catalyst or oxygen sensor characteristics.
CitationFukui, T., Tamura, Y., Omorl, S., and Saitoh, S., "Accuracy of A/F Calculation from Exhaust Gas Composition of SI Engines," SAE Technical Paper 891971, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/891971.
- SpindtR.S., “Air-Fuel Ratios from Exhaust Gas Analysis,” SAE Paper 650507, 1965.
- StivenderD.L., “Development of a Fuel-Based Mass Emission Measurement Procedure,” SAE Paper 710604, 1971.
- An Approach for Higher Efficiency with HORIBA's Automotive EmissionAnalysis System, published by HORIBA Ltd., 1983. (in Japanese)
- Fiziko-Khimicheskie Svojstva Okislov, Spravochnik (Handbook of Physical and Chemical Properties of Oxides), edited by SamsonovaG.V., published by Moscow Metallurgy Publisher, 1978. (in Russian)
- Stoichiometric Air/Fuel Ratios of Automotive Fuels, SAE J1829 JUN87, 1988 SAE Handbook, Vol.3.
- UyeharaO.A., “Effect of Burning Zone A/F, Fuel H/C on Soot Formation and Thermal Efficiency,” SAE Paper 800093, 1980.
- OgasawaraT. and KurachiH., “Multi Layered Zirconia Oxygen Sensor with Modified Rhodium Catalyst Electrode,” SAE Paper 880557, 1988.
- HamburgD.R., CookJ.A., KaiserW.J., and LogothetisE.M., “An Engine-Dynamometer Study of the A/F Compatibility Between a Three-Way Catalyst and an Exhaust Gas Oxygen Sensor”, SAE Paper 830986, 1983.