This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Fumigated Fuel on the Ignition and Initial Combustion Stages in a D.I. Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Effects of fumigated fuel on the initial combustion stage of a diesel spray were studied by measuring an ignition delay period and rate of heat release, clarifying a self-ignition limit of a fumigated fuel. Combustion experiments on both fumigated diesel fuel and methanol in a direct injection diesel engine gave the following results; a rapid combustion occurs with the methanol fumigation, while, the diesel fuel fumigation slightly changes the combustion of the main spray of diesel fuel injected directly into the combustion chamber. Regarding the rate of heat release, the maximum rate in the initial combustion stage increases rapidly with an increase in methanol fumigation, while for the fumigated diesel fuel, the maximum rate changes only slightly. The ignition delay period affected by fumigated diesel fuel is shorter than that affected by methanol at the same fumigation equivalence ratio and intake temperature.
CitationKwon, S., Arai, M., and Hiroyasu, H., "Effects of Fumigated Fuel on the Ignition and Initial Combustion Stages in a D.I. Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 891880, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/891880.
- Hirako Y. Ohta M. “Relation between Shape of Combustion and Sub-Injection to Intake Manifold to Affect the Performance of Diesel Engine” Bulletin of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineering(in Japanese) 36 281 93 1970
- Korematsu K. Saika T. Ito K. “Dual Fueled Diesel Engine with Dissociated Methanol and Gas Oil” Bulletin of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineering (in Japanese), B 53 492 2642 1987
- Chikahisa T. Miyamoto N. Murayama T. Tanaka K. “Study of Alcohol Diesel Engine” Bulletin of Japan Society of Mechanical Engineering (in Japanese), B 48 433 1784 1982
- Seko T. Hori M. Kim E. Niwa K. “Comparison of Various Methanol Combustion Systems for Heavy-Duty Application” 8th Int. Symp. on Alcohol Fuels 501 1988
- Saito T. Daisho Y. Aoki T. Kawase N. “Intercooling Effects of Methanol on Turbocharged Diesel Engine Performance and Exhaust Emissions” SAE Paper 841160
- Kwon S.I. Arai M. Hiroyasu H. “Effects of Cylinder Temperature and Pressure on Ignition Delay in a D.I. Diesel Engine” Journal of the Marine Engineering Society in Japan (in Japanese) 24 1 26 1989
- Kwon S.I. Arai M. Hiroyasu H. “Ignition Delay for Alcohol Blends and Fumigation in a Diesel Engine” 8th Int. Symp. on Alcohol Fuels 605 1988
- Saito T. Journal of Internal Combustion Engine 11 120 277 1972
- Baranescu R.A. “Fumigation of Alcohols in a Multicylinder Diesel Engine-Evaluation of Potential” SAE Paper 860308
- Starke K.W. “Ethanol an Alternative Fuel for Diesel Engines” 4th Int. Symp. on Alcohol Fuels Technology 2 635 1980