This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Life Improvement of Ball Bearings for Motorcycles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Nowadays, bearings for motorcycle engines are required to be compact and light weight and have a considerably high performance.
In order to meet these requirements, two measures were developed, that is High Refining Steel (HRS) and Special Heat Treatment (SH Treatment). In this paper described are the characteristics of HRS and SH Treatment and the results of investigation on them.
The investigation results show that bearings of HRS and bearings with SH Treatment have more than twice longer life than standard bearings, particularly the bearings with SH Treatment have longer life even under lubricating conditions with a low viscous lubricating oil or with a contaminated lubricating oil. As a matter of fact, the bearings of HRS and the bearings with SH Treatment are used for the motorcycle engines and show excellent performances.
CitationHoshino, T. and Goto, M., "Life Improvement of Ball Bearings for Motorcycles," SAE Technical Paper 891771, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/891771.
- Zaretsky E.V. Parker P.J. Anderson W.J. ASTM STP 771 1982 5
- Adachi A. Shoji H. Kuwabara A. Inoue Y. Denki-Seiko 46 3 1975 175
- Morihara G. Fujita Y. Fujimoto Y. Koyo Engineering Journal, No.128 1985 20
- Kinoshi M. Furumura K. JSLE conference preprint 1970 21
- Shiko S. Okamoto K. Watanabe S. Tesu-to-Hagane 54 13 1968 1353
- Fujita Y. Hoshino T. Koyo Engineering Journal 126 1984 28
- Sayles R.S. Macpherson P.B. ASTM STP 771 1982 255