This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Finite Element Analysis and Experimental Study on the Thermal Loading of the Piston for an Internal Combustion Engine
Published November 01, 1989 by Society of Automotive Engineers of China in China
Annotation ability available
This paper presents the experimental and analytical study on the temperature distribution and thermal deformation of the piston in diesel and gasoline engines.
In order to predict temperature distribution and thermal deformation of piston, a finite element analysis has been carried out. The thermal boundary conditions around the pistion were assigned from analytical and empirical relation. The validity of the boundary conditions has been checked by the electric analogy method. Experimentally the piston temperatures for the running engine were measured by thermocouples using a mechanical linkage system and spring system.
The predicted temperature distribution by a finite element method shows satisfactory agreement with the measured data. Also, for thermal deformation, steel strut and slot in piston have been analyzed by axi-symmetric 2-dimensionai finite element method using the virtual element addition method and experimental method.
CitationJeong, D., Choi, H., Sung, N., and Lee, Z., "The Finite Element Analysis and Experimental Study on the Thermal Loading of the Piston for an Internal Combustion Engine," SAE Technical Paper 891346, 1989.
- Li C. H. “Piston Thermal Deformation and Friction Consideration” SAE Paper No. 820086 1982
- Ramchandani M. Whitehouse N. D. “Heat Transfer in a Piston of a Four Stroke Diesel Engine” SAE Paper No, 760007 1976
- Woschni G. Fieger J. “Determination of Local Heat Transfer Coefficients at the Piston of a High Speed Diesel Engine By Evaluation of Measured Temperature Distribution” SAE Paper No. 790834 1979
- Goyal M. “Temperature Distribution in Pistons” ASME 1973
- Timoney D. J. “Diesel Engine Simulation Program” Ricardo Consulting Engineers 1982
- Annand W. J. D. “Heat Transfer in the Cylinders of Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engines” Proc, of the Inst. of Mech. Engrs 177 1963
- Seale W. J. Taylor D. H. C. “Spatial Variation of Heat Transfer to Pistons and Liners of Some Medium Speed Diesel Engines” Proc. of the Inst. Mech. Engrs. 185 17 71 1971
- Munro R. Griffiths W. J. “Futher Development and Operating Experience of Pistons for Medium Speed Diesel Engines” A E Symposium Paper No. 8 1982
- Pachernegg S. J. “Heat Flow in Engine Pistons” SAE Paper No. 670928 1967
- Rohsenhow W. N. Harthett J. T. “Handbook of Heat Transfer” McGrawHill 1973
- French C. C. J. “Taking the Heat off the Highly Boosted Diesel” SAE paper 690463 1969