This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Catalytic Control of Automotive Exhause Emission: Some Lower Cost Noble Metal Options
Published November 01, 1989 by Society of Automotive Engineers of China in China
Annotation ability available
The first catalytic converters for the control of automotive exhaust emissions were commercialized fifteen years ago in 1974. Since then great progress has been made in improving emissions technology and expanding the options available to the engineer to solve complex emissions problems.
This paper traces some of those developments particularly focusing on lower noble metal cost options. Both oxidation and three-way control approaches will be examined. Emphasis will be directed towards the utilization of the relatively low cost noble metal palladium for both types of application.
|Journal Article||Thermal Analysis of the Exhaust Line Focused on the Cool-Down Process|
|Technical Paper||Nitrogen Oxides Reactions in Diesel Oxidation Catalyst|
CitationSummers, J. and Hiera, J., "Catalytic Control of Automotive Exhause Emission: Some Lower Cost Noble Metal Options," SAE Technical Paper 891245, 1989.
- Ebel R. H. “Catalytic Removal of Potential Air Pollutants from Auto Exhaust” Advances in Environmental Science 1 237 1969
- Summers J. C. Hegedus L. L. “Modes of Catalyst Deactivation in Stoichiometric Automobile Exhaust” ISEC Product Research & Development 1979 18 318
- Yao H. C. Japar S. Shelef M. “Surface Interactions in the System Rh/Al 2 O 3 ” Journal of Catalysis 1977 50 407
- Williamson W. B. Summers J. C. White J. J. Marinangeli R. E. “Performance of Copper Base Metal Catalysts in Stoichiometric Automotive Exhausts” SAE Paper 872132 1987
- Flax A. “Ford Develops Catalysts with No Platinum” Automotive News December 19 1988
- Yao Y. Y. “Oxidation of Alkanes Over Noble Metal Catalysts” I&EC Product Research & Development 1980 19 293
- Graham G. W. Potter T. Baird R. J. Gandhi H. S. Shelef M. “Surface Composition of Polycrystalline Pd 15 Rh Following High Temperature Oxidation in Air J. Vac. sci Technology 44 3
- Gandhi H. S. Watkins W. L. H. U.S. Patent 4,782,038
- Summers J. C. Williamson W. B. Henk M. G. “Uses of Palladium in Automotive Emission Control Catalysts” SAE Paper 880281 1988
- Adams K. M. Gandhi H. S. “Palladium-Tungsten Catalysts for Automotive Exhaust Treatment” I&EC Product Research & Development 1983 22 207
- Summers J. C. White J. J. Williamson W. B. “Durability of Palladium-Only Three-Way Automotive Emission Control Catalysts” SAE Paper 890794 1989