This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of the Nonlinearity of the Suspension Roll Stiffness on the Vehicle Handling
Published November 01, 1989 by Society of Automotive Engineers of China in China
Annotation ability available
The nonlinearity due to the deflection of bump stopper in vehicle suspension is an important factor to influence on vehicle ride and handling. While it reduces the heavy shock transferred from the road to the vehicle body and hence gives a good ride comfort, it may also give a bad effect on the vehicle handling at high lateral acceleration.
In this paper, a simulation program for the handling analysis of a passenger car with nonlinear tire and suspension has been developed and used to study for several design changes of roll stiffness in the same vehicle. The results are well consistent with the general concept in vehicle handling theory.
CitationKim, S., Lee, C., and Choi, K., "Effect of the Nonlinearity of the Suspension Roll Stiffness on the Vehicle Handling," SAE Technical Paper 891212, 1989.
- Olley. M. “Road Manners of the Modern Car,” Proceedings of the Institution of Automobile Engineers 41 1946-1947
- Segal. L. “Theoretical Prediction and Experimental Substantiation of the Response of the Automobile to Steering Control” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers 1956
- Fiala. E. “Lateral Force in a Rolling Tyre,” VDI Oct 1954
- Pacejka, H.B “Tyre Modelling for Use in Vehicle Dynamics Studies” SAE paper 870421
- Bastow Donald “Car Suspension & Handling” 2nd Pentch Press London 1987
- Japan Automotive Engineering Series 11 “Suspension & Steering”
- Puhn Fred “How to make your car handle” HP Books U.S.A 1981
- Suh J.H. “Computer Aided Design of Mechanism” Colorado University U.S.A 1988
- Abe M. “The motion and control of Vehicle” Public Press Japan 1979
- Bundorf R.T. “Dynamic Simulation of Vehicle Directional Control” GM 1967
- Ellis J.R. “Vehicle Dynamics” Advanced School Automobile Engineering Cranfield London Business Books Limited 1969