This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
New Developments in Automatic Transmission Fluids
Published November 01, 1989 by Society of Automotive Engineers of China in China
Annotation ability available
The technology of automatic transmission fluids is reviewed, and current changes in specifications and requirements are described and discussed. DEXRON®-III as projected from the present is analyzed and compared to DEXRON®-II and MERCON®.
Advances required to address the new needs are examined, and the chemistry involved is highlighted. Special emphasis is given to frictional properties with recent research data being shown and discussed in relation to Dexron®-III requirements.
CitationPapay, A., "New Developments in Automatic Transmission Fluids," SAE Technical Paper 891194, 1989.
- Linden, J.L. Kemp, S.P. “Improving Transaxle Performance at Low Temperature with Reduced-Viscosity Automatic Transmission Fluids” SAE Paper 870356
- Grambo, R.E. Dowell, R.E. Mackay, I. “Oil-Immerssed Static Coefficient of Friction - Definition and Methods of Determination” SAE Paper 841065
- Friesen, T. “Chatter in Wet Brakes” SAE Paper 831313
- Bo, L.C. Parelescu, D. “The Friction Speed Relation and its Influence on the Critical Velocity of Stick-Slip Motion” Wear 82 277f 1982
- Staph, H. E. “Experimental Study of Wet-Brake Friction” SAE Paper 851575
- Nakata, N. Moroto, S. Kobayashi, K. “Prediction, of the Life of Friction Material and Shift Quality of an Automatic Transmission” SAE Paper 860385
- Willenaet, P. A. Mahoney, L.R. Kandah, S. K. Sever, A.W. “The Prediction of ATF Service Life from Laboratory Oxidation Test Data” SAE Paper 801363
- Haviland, M, L. Anderson, R.L. Davison, E. D. Goodwin, M. D. Osborne, R, E. “DEXRON-II Automatic Transmission Fluid Performance” SAE Paper 740053
- DEXRON II Automatic Transmission Fluid Specification General Motors Corporation Second 1978
- MERCON Automatic Transmission Fluid Specification Ford Motor Company 1987
- Hunstad, K. A. Selby, T.W. Osbourne, R. E. “The Present Status of Automatic Transmission FLuid, Type A” Paper 756 -SAE Summer Meeting Atlantic City June 1956
- “Automatic Transmission Fluid, Type A, Suffix A Identification Specification.” Fuels and Lubricants Dept., General Motors Research Labs. November 1 1957
- “DEXRON Automatic Transmission Fluid Specification.” Fuels and Lubricants Dept., General Motors Research Labs. 1967