This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Disc Brake Squeal Using Finite Element Methods
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A method for determining the geometric stability characteristics of a disc brake assembly is presented. Since disc brake “squeal” noise typically occurs at unstable resonant frequencies of a system, the likelihood of disc brake squeal for a particular design can be determined. Finite element methods are used to derive the equations of motion for a brake system. Both substructuring of the system and modal representation of the components are utilized. The components are coupled together in a system model including friction coupling terms between the rotor and linings. An asymmetric stiffness matrix is the end result of the friction coupling, providing a pseudo forcing function that will excite the unstable modes of the system. A complex eigenvalue analysis provides the frequency and damping for each vibration mode. The damping values reveal which modes are unstable and therefore likely to produce squeal. Sensitivity studies are performed on several design variables to determine values where squeal is less likely to occur.
|Technical Paper||A Study on Drum Brake Noise by Holographic Vibration Analysis|
|Technical Paper||Numerical and Experimental Evaluation of Brake Squeal|
|Technical Paper||Geometric Induced Instability in Drum Brakes|
CitationLiles, G., "Analysis of Disc Brake Squeal Using Finite Element Methods," SAE Technical Paper 891150, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/891150.
- Fosberry R. A. C. Holubecki Z. “Interim report on disc brake squeal” M.I.R.A. Research Report No. 1959/4
- Fosberry R. A. C. Holubecki Z. “Disc brake squeal; its mechanism and suppression” M.I.R.A. Research Report No. 1961/2
- Spurr R. T. “A Theory of Brake Squeal” Proc. Auto. Div. Instn. Mech. Engrs 1961
- Earles S. W. E. Soar G. B. “Squeal Noise in Disc Brakes” Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs., Vibration and Noise in Motor Vehicles 1971
- Millner N. “An Analysis of Disc Brake Squeal” S.A.E. Paper 780332 1979
- Murakami H. Tsunada N. Kitamura T. “A Study Concerned with a Mechanism of Disc-Brake Squeal” S.A.E. Paper 841233 1984
- Richardson M. H. “Measurement and Analysis of the Dynamics of Mechanical Structures” Hewlett Packard Santa Clara DSA/LASER Division
- Meirovitch L. “Elements of Vibration Analysis” Second Edition McGraw-Hill 71 73