This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
All Terrain vehicle Lateral Stability and the Limits of Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A general coefficient of lateral stability is examined for its relationship to the lateral acceleration limit of All Terrain Vehicles in turn-circle tests. Measurements were taken for a representative sample of vehicles, and these vehicles were then employed in a series of instrumented constant-radius steady-state turn-circle tests to determine their fundamental steering response characteristics and to quantify limit lateral acceleration. Correlations are drawn between the stability coefficient values and the limit lateral acceleration on different soil surfaces.
CitationDeppa, R. and Hauser, J., "All Terrain vehicle Lateral Stability and the Limits of Control," SAE Technical Paper 891108, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/891108.
- Huston, J.C. Graves B.J. Johnson D.B. Three Wheeled Vehicle Dynamics SAE 820139
- Hauser, J.A. II Steady State Analysis of ATV Tipping September 1986 Consumer Product Safety Commission Washington, D.C. 20207
- Beer, F.P. Johnston, E.R. Jr. Vector Mechanics for Engineers: Statics McGraw Hill 1962
- Holloway, D.C. Wilson W.H. Examination of ATV Tire Forces Generated on Clay, Grass, and Sand Surfaces SAE 891105
- Allen, R.W. Szostak H.T. Rosenthal T.J. Klyde D.H. Static and Steady-State Properties of ATV's Related to Lateral/Directional Handling SAE 891104
- Deppa, R.W. Engineering Evaluation of the Safety of All Terrain Vehicles September 1986 Consumer Product Safety Commission Washington, D.C. 20207
- Wong, J.Y. Theory of Ground Vehicles John Wiley & Sons 1978
- Allen, R.W. Man Machine Systems Analysis of ATV Stability and Control Problems Systems Technology, Inc. Hawthorne, CA Consumer Product Safety Commission Washington, D.C., 20207 April 1988
- Cole, D.E. Elementary Vehicle Dynamics Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan 1972