This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Examination of ATV Tire Forces Generated on Clay, Grass, and Sand Surfaces
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A towed tire testing fixture suitable for use in testing all terrain vehicle tires is designed and built. Vertical loads on the tire under test can be varied from 100 to 400 1bf (445-1780N) and the camber and slip angles can be varied from 0 to 20 degrees. In addition, longitudinal slip measurements in braking are possible through the use of a disc brake assembly. Six strain gage loads cells are used to determine the force and moment resultants at the tire contact patch. Data acquisition and processing are done through a Daytronic 10KUD data pack and lap top PC.
This system is used to test seven representative ATV tires operating on surfaces of hard packed clay. Two of these tires are also tested on short and tall field grass, and on beach sand. Information on the lateral force coefficient, and the rolling resistance coefficient, as functions of vertical load on the tire, and slip angle of the tire, are generated. For the two tires tested on clay, grass and sand, one quadrant of the friction ellipse is determined showing the lateral force coefficient vs the braking force coefficient, with slip angle and longitudinal slip ratio as parameters.
|Technical Paper||Effects of Surface Anomalies and Tire Mechanics on ATV Tire Friction Coefficients|
|Technical Paper||Modelling and Simulation of Electric Stability Program for the Passenger Car|
|Technical Paper||ATV Flotation Tires|
CitationHolloway, D., Wilson, W., and Drach, T., "Examination of ATV Tire Forces Generated on Clay, Grass, and Sand Surfaces," SAE Technical Paper 891106, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/891106.
- Mechanics of Pneumatic Tires, Clark Samuel K. US Government Printing Office 1981
- Crolla D.A. El-Razaz A.S.A. Alstead C.J. Hockley C. “A Model to Predict the Combined Lateral and Longitudinal Forces on an Off-Road Tire,” Proceedings of 1987 ISTVS 362 372 1987
- Schwanghart H. “Influence of Tyre Tread on Steering Forces with Non Driven Tyres on Hard Surface,” Proceedings of 1987 ISTVS 627 635 1987
- Schwanghart H. Rott K. “The Influence of the Tyre Tread on the Rolling Resistance and Steering Forces on Undriven Wheels,” Proceedings of 1984 ISTVS 872 888 1984
- Stephens L.E. “Lateral Force Characteristics of Powered, Steered Tires,” SAE paper 851091 1985
- McAllister M. “A Rig for Measuring the Forces on a Towed Wheel,” J. Agric. Engng. Res. 24 259 265 1979
- Sommer M.S. Gee-Glough D. “Steering forces on Undriven, Angled Wheels,” Journal of Terramechanics 18 25 49 1981
- Horton D.N.L. Crolla D.A. “The Handling Behavior of Off-Road Vehicles Int. J. of Vehicle Design, 5 197 217 1984
- Wismer R.D. Luth H.J. “Off-Road Traction Prediction for Wheeled Vehicles,” ASAE paper 72-619 1972
- Holloway D.C. “An Examination of Tire and Suspension Properties of All Terrain Vehicles,” Report to CPSC on contract CPSC8612500 1986
- Chen S.Y. Tsai L.W. Chen J. Holloway D.C. “The Steady-State Handling of Three-Wheeled All Terrain Vehicles (ATVs)” SAE 891109 1989
- Chen S.Y. Tsai L.W. Chen J. Holloway D.C. “Steady State Handling of Four-wheeled All Terrain Vehicles (ATVs)” SAE 891110 1989