This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Steady State and Dynamic Properties of All Terrain Vehicles Related to Lateral Directional Handling and Stability
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) lateral/directional handling and stability is predominantly affected by tire and load transfer characteristics, and the lack of a rear axle differential. The combined effect of these characteristics are surveyed in this paper through the use of steady state analysis and simple linear dynamic analysis over a range of vehicle characteristics and maneuvering conditions. Computer analysis results are also compared with field test data obtained with instrumented vehicles.
CitationAllen, R., Szostak, H., Rosenthal, T., and Klyde, D., "Steady State and Dynamic Properties of All Terrain Vehicles Related to Lateral Directional Handling and Stability," SAE Technical Paper 891105, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/891105.
- Allenz R.W. Johnson W.A. Rosenthal T.J. et al “Quasilinear Analysis of Nonlinear Dynamic Simulations,” Proceedings of the 1986 Summer Computer Simulation Conference, Roy Crosbie and Paul Luker (eds.), Society for Computer Simulation San Diego CA 1986 54 58
- Allen R.W. Szostak H.T. Rosenthal T.J. et al “Test Methods and Computer Modeling for the Analysis of Ground Vehicle Handling,” SAE Paper No. 861115 Aug. 1986
- Allen R.W. Rosenthal T.J. Szostak H.T. “Steady State and Transient Analysis of Ground Vehicle Handling,” SAE Paper No. 870495 Nov. 1986
- Clark S.K. Mechanics of Pneumatic Tires Samuel K. Clark U.S. Government Printing Office Washington D.C Aug 1981
- Holloway D.C. Wilson W.H. “Examination of ATV Tire Forces Generated on Clay, Grass and Sand Surfaces,” SAE Paper No. 891105 Mar. 1989
- Szostak H.T. Johnson W.A. Allen R.W. et al “A Microcomputer Program for Analyzing a Tire Model to be Used in Vehicle Dynamics Simulations,” Society for Computer Simulation, Inc. San Diego, CA 1986 205 209
- Schuring D.J. Tire Parameter Determination I-IX NHTSA DOT HS-802 086-094 Nov. 1976
- Allen R.W. Hogue J.R. Rosenthal T.J. “A Data Acquisition and Analysis System Based on a Lap-Top Computer,” TRB/A3B06 Midyear Meeting Liberty Mutual Insurance Co. Hopkinton, MA June 1988
- Rosenthal T.J. Allen R.W. Szostak H.T. Analytical Modeling, of Driver-Response in Crash Avoidance Maneuvers III DOT HS 807 272 Apr. 1988
- Deppa R.W. All Terrain Vehicle Steady-state Steering Responses A Report of the Consumer Product Safety Commission Sept. 1986
- Allen R.W. Hogue J.R. Pareseghian Z. “Manual Control of Unstable Systems,” NASA CP-2428 May 1986 32.1 32.18
- McRuer D.T. Klein R.H. Automobile Controllability - Driver/Vehicle Response for Steering Control I and II NHTSA DOT HS-801-406/407 Feb. 1975