This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Selection and Performance of Thermal Sprayed Abradable Seal Coatings for Gas Turbine Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Thermal sprayed abradable seal coatings are a specially designed class of materials used to reduce gas path clearance in gas turbine engines. These coatings directly translate to lower engine fuel consumption and higher performance and are employed in virtually every commercial and military jet aircraft in operation, Abradable coatings are characterized by a friable structure of carefully selected materials. These coatings are difficult to design since they must be readily abrad able and yet resist particle impact erosion from engine ingested abrasive dust at high gas velocities. Other important criteria are temperature stability, inertness, and consistency. This paper describes the classes of abradable seal materials; the characterization of thermal sprayed abradables; current coating materials temperature, erosion, and abradability performance; and current research in thermal sprayed abradable coating materials.
|Technical Paper||Catalytic Effects of Cr2O3 and PSZ on Gas-Phase Ignition Under Diesel Engine Combustion Conditions|
|Technical Paper||Durability Performance of Advanced Ceramic Material DPFs|
CitationNovinski, E., "The Selection and Performance of Thermal Sprayed Abradable Seal Coatings for Gas Turbine Engines," SAE Technical Paper 890929, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/890929.
- Ferguson, J. R. Use of Coatings in Turbomachinery Gas Path Seals, Seal Technology in Gas Turbine Engines Aug. 1978 2-1 2-5
- Stern, J. A. Aircraft Propulsion, A Key to Fuel Conservation; An Aircraft Manufacturer's View SAE Paper 760538 1976
- Ludwig, L.P. Bill, R.C. Gas Path Sealing in Turbine Engines NASA 1978
- Bill, R.C. Ludwig, R. C. Wear of Seal materials Used in Aircraft Propulsion Systems NASA 1978
- Novinski, E. Klein, J. Harrington, J. Modified Zirconia Abradable Seal Coating for High Temperature Gas Turbine Applications Proceedings of the International Conference on Metallurgical Coatings San Diego, California Ap. 4-9 1982