This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Building and Test-Track Evaluation of an Aluminum Structured Bertone X1/9 Replica Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 1, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A vehicle build and evaluation program to demonstrate the feasibility of Alcan's Aluminum Structured Vehicle Technology (ASVT) is described.
Five replica Bertone Xl/9 sports cars have been built on the production manufacturing facilities of Carrozzeria Bertone in Turin. The all-aluminum alloy body structures were produced with strength and stiffness equivalent to production steel bodies but with a weight reduction of approximately one third.
Modes and frequencies of vibration, interior noise characteristics and 30 mph barrier test results for vehicles with aluminum and steel bodies are compared. High load input, 1000 mile pave and accelerated corrosion tests have proved the vehicles' durability.
- A.S. Warren - Alcan Automotive Structures, Banbury, England
- J.E. Wheatley - Alcan International Limited, Banbury Laboratories, Banbury, England
- W.F. Warwick - Alcan International Limited, Banbury Laboratories, Banbury, England
- D.J. Meadows - Alcan International Limited, Banbury Laboratories, Banbury, England
CitationWarren, A., Wheatley, J., Warwick, W., and Meadows, D., "The Building and Test-Track Evaluation of an Aluminum Structured Bertone X1/9 Replica Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 890718, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/890718.
- Wheeler M.J., Sheasby P.G., Kewley D.. SAE Technical Paper Series 870146, 1987.
- Selwood P.G., Law F.J., Sheasby P.G., Wheeler M.J.. SAE Technical Paper Series 870149, 1987.
- King C.S.. Proc. Inst. Mech. 197 (64) 1983.