This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application of a Valve Lift and Timing Control System to an Automotive Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes a new variable valve lift and timing control system, which varies the lift and timing by changing the fulcrum of the rocker arm. The fulcrum is varied according to the inclination of a lever that engages with a control cam. The control cam is driven by an actuator mechanism so as to provide multistage control over valve lift and timing. As a result, this new system reduces valve train noise and delivers stable valve operation through the high-speed range. The compact actuator mechanism provides excellent response for controlling valve lift and timing. When applied to a 1.8-liter 4-cylinder gasoline engine, the system contributed to higher power output, lower fuel consumption and reduced noise.
|Technical Paper||Development of a New Multi-Mode Variable Valve Timing Engine|
|Special Publication||Variable Valve Actuation 2000|
|Technical Paper||An Adaptive Idle Mode Control System|
CitationHara, S., Kumagai, K., and Matsumoto, Y., "Application of a Valve Lift and Timing Control System to an Automotive Engine," SAE Technical Paper 890681, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/890681.
- Stojek D. and Stwiorok A., “Valve Timing with Variable Overlap Control,” XX FISITA Congress, 845026, 1984.
- Hara S., Nakajima Y. and Nagumo S., “Effects of Intake-Valve Closing Timing on Spark-Ignition Engine Combustion,” SAE Paper 850074.
- Gray C., “A Review of Variable Engine Valve Timing,” SAE Paper 880386.
- Henault C. and Josas J., “Variable Gas Distribution Device for Internal Combustion Motors,” US Patent Specification 4448156, Published May 1984.
- Titolo A., “Variable Valve Control from Fiat,” MTZ, May 1986, pp. 185-188.
- Torazza G., “A Variable Lift and Event Control Device for Piston Engine Valve Operation,” 14th FISITA Congress 1972, Paper 2/10, pp. 59-67.
- Lenz H. P., Wichart K. and Gruden D., “Variable Valve Timing-A Possibility to Control Engine Load Without Throttle,” SAE Paper 880388.
- Scott D., “Variable Valve Timing has Electronic Control,” Automotive Engineering, May 1984, pp. 86-87.
- Sapienza S., Shirey B. and Vuuren N.V., “An Electronically Controlled Cam Phasing System,” SAE Paper 880391.
- Maekawa K., Osawa N. and Akasaka A., “Development of Valve-Timing Control System,” SAE Paper 890680.
- Scott D. and Yamaguchi J., “Eccentric Cam Drive varies Valve Timing,” Automotive Engineering, October 1980, pp. 120-124.
- Richman R. H. and Reynolds W.C., “A Computer-Controlled poppet-Valve Actuation System for Application on Research Engines,” SAE Paper 840340.
- Scott D., “Variable Valve Timing to Boost Engine Efficiency,” Popular Science, May 1980, pp. 96-97.
- Hausknecht L. A., “Valve Control System,” US Patent Specification 4134371, published January 1979.
- Hisserich C.A., “Valve Timing Overlap Control For Internal Combustion Engines,” US Patent Specification 3897760, published August 1975.