This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Initial Test Results of an Electro-Hydraulic variable-Valve Actuation System on a Firing Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An electro-hydraulic variable valve actuation (henceforth, referred to as WA) system has been developed for spark ignition engine applications. This is a report of its successful initial testing.
Motoring tests were first conducted to determine any cylinder to cylinder variations in charging efficiencies. These were then corrected by individual intake valve timings.
Then testing was conducted on a firing engine at both part and full load over a full range of engine speeds. The brake specific fuel consumption (bsfc) was considerably improved at low speeds by the WA system. However, the bsfc results of the WA system were worse than those of the throttled engine system at higher speeds and low loads. The cause of this problem was determined to be poor mixture preparation and various corrective measures are now being studied.
The WA system was very effective at full load over the entire speed range and increased output torque by more than 10% at the lower engine speeds compared to the production engine.
CitationLenz, H., Geringer, B., Smetana, G., and Dachs, A., "Initial Test Results of an Electro-Hydraulic variable-Valve Actuation System on a Firing Engine," SAE Technical Paper 890678, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/890678.
- Tuttle, James: Controlling Engine Load by Means of Late Intake Valve closing. SAE Paper 800794 (1980).
- Tuttle, James: Engine Load Controlled via Early Intake Valve Closing. SAE Paper 820408 (1982).
- Ma, Tom: Effect of Variable Engine Valve Timing on Fuel Economy. SAE Paper 880390 (1988).
- GrayC: A Review of Variable Engine Valve Timing. SAE Paper 880386 (1988).
- Geringer, Bernhard: Theoretische und praktsiche Entwickiung einer variablen Ventilsteuerung auf elektronisch-hydraulischer Basis. VDI-Fortschritt-bericht Nr. 95 (1988), Reihe 12.
- Wichart, Klaus: Mőglichkeiten and Maβnahmen zur Verminderung der Ladungswechseiverluste beim Ottomotor. VDI-Fortschrittbericht Nr. 91 (1987), Reihe 12.
- Geringer, Bernhard: Berechnung und Entwickiung einer elektronisch-hydraulisch gesteuerten variablen Ventilsteuerung für Ottomotoren. VDI-Fortschritt-bericht Nr. 74 (1986), Reihe 12, S.220/243.