This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study of an Open-Wheel Racing-Car's Rear-Wing Aerodynamics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The effect of a race-car's rear-wing shape on its high-lift aerodynamic characteristics was investigated numerically and experimentally. These geometrical variations included parameters such as wing leading-edge sweep, several chord-wise elements, addition of trailing edge flaps and of side fins. The main advantage of the numerical computations was to allow for the investigation of a large number of wing geometries without an expensive and lengthy fabrication process of similar wind-tunnel models. Results of this study indicate that complying with the current Championship Auto Racing Teams (CART) regulations, a rear wing with a lift coefficient on the order of −2.2 (based on wing's reference area) is possible.
CitationKatz, J. and Dykstra, L., "Study of an Open-Wheel Racing-Car's Rear-Wing Aerodynamics," SAE Technical Paper 890600, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/890600.
- Dominy, J. A. Dominy, R. G. “Aerodynamic Influences on the Performance of the Grand Prix Racing Car” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers 198 D 1984 1 7
- Hurst, D. W. Lilley, G. M. “Some Measurements of the Underbody Flow of a Typical Advanced Ground-Transport Vehicle Model,” SAE Paper 880247 February 1988
- Scibor-Rylski, A. “Experimental Investigation of the Negative Aerodynamic Lift Wings Used on Racing Cars,” Advances in Road Vehicle Aerodynamics BHRA Fluid Engineering 147 154 1973
- Katz, J. “Aerodynamic Model for Wing-Generated Down Force on Open-Wheel Racing-Car Configurations,” SAE Paper 860218 February 1986
- Katz, J. Maslcew, B. “Unsteady Low-Speed Aerodynamic Model for Complete Aircraft Configurations,” J. Aircraft 25 4 1988 302 310
- Maskew, B. “Program VSAERO. A Computer Program for Calculating the Nonlinear Aerodynamic Characteristics of Arbitrary Configurations,” NASA CR-166476 Nov. 1982
- Smith, A. M. O. “High Lift Aerodynamics” J Aircraft 12 1975
- Robinson, A. Laurman, J. A. “Wing Theory” Cambridge University Press 1956
- Katz, J. Largmann, R. “Effect of 90 deg. Flap on the Aerodynamics of a Two-Element Airfoil” ASME J. Fluids Engineering March 1989