This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Live Subject Safety Research - Side Impact
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
For twenty years the dynamic test protocol for automotive safety research has been to use an anthropomorphic dummy in sled and crash test simulations. For the past four years, the author and associates have created and used a computer test protocol to model real world accidents and determine injury reduction from potential design modifications without some of the limitations and cost of the physical hardware and test procedure.
The computer test protocol is described and examples of the research results in side and rollover accidents are detailed. Preliminary conclusions about injury reduction countermeasures and continuing research are suggested.
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Occupant Restraint System Evaluation - Lateral Rollover System-Level Heavy Trucks|
|Technical Paper||The Correlative Advantages of Lunar and Terrestrial Vehicle and Power Train Research|
CitationFriedman, D., Forrest, S., Gott, F., and Dyne, G., "Live Subject Safety Research - Side Impact," SAE Technical Paper 890382, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/890382.
Side Impact-Injury Causation and Occupant Protection
Number: SP-0769; Published: 1989-02-01
Number: SP-0769; Published: 1989-02-01
- Friedman, Donald Subcompact Car Crashworthiness MCR TECHNOLOGY, INC. (formerly Minicars, Inc.). Transportation Research Board January 1975 Tanner R.B. Friedman D.F.
- Friedman, Donald The Minicars Research Safety Vehicle, RSV Phase I, II, III MCR TECHNOLOGY, INC. (formerly Minicars, Inc.) Proceedings of the Eight Internaitonal OCnference on Experimental Vehicles October 1980
- Struble, D. Societal Costs and Their Reduction by Safety Systems MCR TECHNOLOGY, INC. (formerly Minicars, Inc.) Proceedings of the Fourth International Congress on Automotive Safety July 1975
- Rebecca Thomas, Review of the OPUS Systems UNIX World 56 63 May 1986
- CRASH3 User's Guide and Technical Manual Calspan Corporation/National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
- McHenry, R.R. SMAC-CRASH User Information for the Mathematical Reconstruction of Highway Accidents Calspan Corporation
- Griffith, D.G. Segal, D.J. PAD'S User's Manual MGA Corporation October 1984
- Bowman, B.M. Bennett, R.O. Robbins, D.H. Two-Dimensional Crash Victim Simulation (MVMA 2-D) University of Michigan June 1979
- Fleck, J.T. Butler, F.E. Vogel. S.L. An Improved Three-Dimensional Computer Simulation of Vehicle Crash Victims (CVS 3-D) Calspan Corporation
- Butler, F.E. Fleck, J.T. Advanced Restraint System Modeling, the Articulated Total Body Model (ATB 11) Calspan Corporation
- Baughman, L.D. Development of an Interactive Computer Program to Produce Body Description (GEBOD) University of Dayton July 1983
- Schwarz, R. Forrest, S. MIV: Design and Development of Modified Production Vehicle for Enhanced Crashworthiness and Fuel Economy MCR TECHNOLOGY, INC. (formerly Minicars, Inc.) for the NHTSA March 1984
- Robbins, D.H. Melvin, J.W. Huelke, D.F. Sherman, H.W. Biomechanical Accident Investigation Methodology Using Analytical Techniques University of Michigan Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) paper no. 831609 1983
- Severy, D.M. Blaisdell, D.M. Horne, L.S. Motorist Head and Body Impact Analysis, Methodologies and Reconstruction SAE Paper No. 850097 1985
- Detailed case investigation by Donald Friedman including 77 automobile
- National Accident Sampling System 1984. A Report on Traffic and Injuries in the U.S. (NASS) NHTSA 1984
- New Car Assessment Report; Testing How Well New Cars Perform in Crashes (NCAP) NHTSA
- SAS Record Description, PADS Control File Generator Accident Simulation File (PCFG) NHTSA
- Neathery, R.F. An Analysis of Chest Impact Response Data and Scaled Performance Recommendations Proceedings of the Eighteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference SAE Paper No. 741188 1974
- Lau, I.V. Viano, D.C. Viscous Criterion-Bases and Applications of an Injury Severity Index for Soft Tissues GM Research Labs. SAE Paper No. 861882 1986