This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of Ground Simulation-Correlation between Wind-Tunnel and Water-Basin Tests of a Full-Scale Car
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The aerodynamic properties of a full-scale car have been investigated in a wind-tunnel with upstream boundary layer suction, and in a water-basin where the car was rolling on the bottom. Measurements were carried out of the drag and lift forces, the static pressure distribution on the car body and the total head distribution between the car and the ground. By comparing data from the tunnel and the basin the ground simulation technique could be evaluated. The measured drag coefficients were found to be very similar in both facilities, while the absolute values of the lift coefficients were considerably higher in the tunnel. Lift differences due to configuration changes of the upperbody were essentially the same in the two facilities, while changes of the underbody caused smaller lift differences in the tunnel. In the project the water-basin technique was thoroughly investigated and proven.
CitationLarsson, L., Hammar, L., Nilsson, L., Berndtsson, A. et al., "A Study of Ground Simulation-Correlation between Wind-Tunnel and Water-Basin Tests of a Full-Scale Car," SAE Technical Paper 890368, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/890368.
- Hackett J.E. Williams J.E. Baker J.B. Wallis S.B. On the Influence of Ground Movement and Wheel Rotation in Tests of Modern Car Shapes 870245 SAE International Congress and Exposition Detroit 1987
- Sardou M. Reynolds Effect and Moving Ground Effect Tested in a Quarter Scale Wind-Tunnel over a High Speed Moving Belt Journal of Wind-Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 22 1986
- Sardou M. The Sensitivity of Wind-Tunnel Data to a High-Speed Moving Ground for Different Types of Road Vehicles 880246 SAE International Congress and Exposition Detroit 1988
- Bearman P.W. DeBeer D. Hamidy E. Harvey J.K. The Effect of a Moving Floor on Wind-Tunnel Simulation of Road Vehicles 880245
- Hurst D.W. Lilley G.M. Some Measurements of the Underbody Flow of a Typical Advanced Ground Transport Vehicle Model 880247
- Carr G.W. A Comparison of the Ground-Plane Suction and Moving Belt Ground Representation Techniques 880249
- Berndtsson A. Eckert W.T. Mercker E. The Effect of Groundplane Boundary Layer Control on Automotive Testing in a Wind-Tunnel 880248
- Trägȧrdh P. Automobile testing in Water - Pilot Project SSPA Report No 4875 1987
- Vorwaller M.L. Germane G.J. Aerodynamic drag studies on rolling vehicles by underwater tow testing 860091 SAE International Congress and Exposition Detroit 1986
- Nilsson L-U. Berndtsson A. The New Volvo Multi-Purpose Automotive Wind-Tunnel 870249
- Hucho W-H. Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles Butterworths 1986