This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Insulated Combustion Chamber Surfaces on Direct-Injected Diesel Engine Performance, Emissions and Combustion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The combustion chamber of a single-cylinder, direct-injected diesel engine was insulated with ceramic coatings to determine the effect of low heat rejection (LHR) operation on engine performance, emissions, and combustion. In comparison to the baseline cooled engine, the LHR engine had lower thermal efficiency, with higher smoke, particulate, and full load carbon monoxide emissions. The unburned hydrocarbon emissions were reduced across the load range. The nitrous oxide emissions increased at some part-load conditions and were reduced slightly at full loads. The poor LHR engine performance was attributed to degraded combustion characterized by less premixed burning, lower heat release rates, and longer combustion duration compared to the baseline cooled engine.
CitationDickey, D., "The Effect of Insulated Combustion Chamber Surfaces on Direct-Injected Diesel Engine Performance, Emissions and Combustion," SAE Technical Paper 890292, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/890292.
- Bryzik W. Kamo R. “TACOM/Cummins Adiabatic Engine Program,” SAE Paper 830314 February 1983
- Yoshimitsu T. Toyama K. Sata F. Yamaguchi H. “Capabilities of Heat Insulated Diesel Engine,” ASME Paper 80-DGP-14
- Toyama K. Yoshimitsu T. Nishiyama T. Shimauchi T Nakagaki T. “Heat Insulated Turbocompound Engine,” SAE Paper 831345
- Wade W. R. Havstad P. H. Ounsted E. J. Trinker F. H. Garwin I. J. “Fuel Economy Opportunities with an Uncooled DI Diesel Engine,” I.Mech.E. Paper C432/84
- Toyama K. Yoshimitsu T. Nishiyama T. Shimauchi T. Nakagaki T. “Heat Insulated Turbocompound Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 830314
- Kamo R. M. Woods T. Yamada Mori M. “Thermal Barrier Coating for Diesel Engine Piston,” ASME Paper 80-DGP-14 February 1980
- Alkidas A. C. ‘Experiments with Uncooled Single-Cylinder Open-Chamber Diesel,” SAE Paper 870020
- Woschni G. Spindler W. Kolesa K. “Heat Insulation of Combustion Chamber Walls--A Measure to Decrease the Fuel Consumption of I.C. Engines?” SAE Paper 870339
- Cole R. M. Alkidas A. C. “Evaluation of an Air-Gap-Insulated Piston in a Divided-Chamber Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper 850359
- Thring R. H. “Low Heat Rejection Engines,” SAE Paper 860314
- Lyn W. T. “Calculations of the Effect of Rate of Heat Release on the Shape of Cylinder-Pressure Diagram and Cycle Efficiency,” Proc. Instn. Mech. Engineers (A.D.) I. 1960-61
- Hiroyasu H. Arai M. Nakawishi K. “Soot Formation and Oxidation in Diesel Engine,” SAE Transactions 89 1149 1161 1980
- Havstad P. H. Garwin I. J. Wade W. R. “A Ceramic Insert Uncooled Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper 860447
- Henningsen S. “Evaluation of Emissions and Heat-Release Characteristics from a Simulated Low-Heat-Rejection Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper 871616
- Hamano Y. Nakahara Y. Toeda S. “A Small DI Ceramic Engine,” Paper 860442