This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Evaluation of Combustion Noise Generation in Diesel Engine Structure
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1989 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes an attempt to clarify the characteristics of combustion noise generation of the engine structure. The transmission-radiation coefficient of combustion noise is proposed as a conversion ratio of the combustion noise power from the gas vibration power affecting the inner surface of the combustion chamber These experiments were carried out both with a stationary engine excited by a single explosion and an operating engine. From these results, the frequency characteristics of the combustion noise generated by each engine wall and the vibration response of each transmission path are discussed.
CitationKojima, N., "An Evaluation of Combustion Noise Generation in Diesel Engine Structure," SAE Technical Paper 890126, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/890126.
- Alcock J.F. Contribution to Discussion, Inst.Mech.Engrs. Symposium on Engine Noise and Noise Suppression 1958 54
- Priede T. Grover E.C. Lalor N. “Relation between Noise and Basic Structural Vibration of Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 690450
- Thien G.W. Nowotny B. “Untersuchungen uber den Einfluss von korperschall vorgangen auf das Gerausch von Dieselmotoren” Motortech.Z. 32 6 1971 185
- French C.C.J. Challen B.J. “Noise Reduction of Present Generation Disel Engines” 1973 CIMAC Paper No.26 641 666
- Challen B.J. Croker M.D. “A Review of Recent Progress in iesel Engine Noise Reduction” SAE Paper 820517
- Croker M.D. “Engine Structure Analysis for Low Noise:The Options” SAE, Paper 850970
- Kojima N. Tsubaki M. Fukuda M. “Combustion Induced Noise of Engine by Single Explosion Excitation” Bulletin of JSME 29 (253) 1986 2176 2182
- Kojima N. Itoh K. Fukuda M. “Analysis of Combustion Induced Noise of Engine by Single Explosion Excitation” Bulletin of JSME” 29 (257) 1986 3815 3821
- Dixon J. Grover E.C. Priede T. “Simulation of Combustion Induced Noise in a Non-Running Engine Structure by Impulsive Hydraulic Excitation” SAE Paper 820364
- Austen A.E.W. Priede T. “Noise of Automotive Diesel Engines: Its Causes and Reduction” SAE Paper 650165
- Russell M.F. “Diesel Engine Noise: Control at Source” SAE Paper 820238
- Priede T. “Relation between Form of Cylinder-pressure Diagram and Noise in Diesel Engines” Proc. Inst. Mech. Engrs. (A.D.), No.1 1960-1961 63 77
- Anderton D. “Relation between Combustion System and Engine Noise” SAE Paper 790270
- Russell M.F. Haworth R. “Combustion Noise from High Speed Direct Injection Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 850973
- Haddad S.D. Watson N. “Design and Applications in Diesel Engineering” Ellis Horwood and John Wiley 1984