This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simultaneous Use Of Oil-Flow Patterns And Total Pressure Tomographies For A More Complete Understanding Of Flow Structures Around A Car
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 22nd FISITA Congress
In parallel to and with the development of numerical methods for calculating flow around road vehicles, experimental techniques are improving in order to obtain physical information at the same level of precision as those given by computation. In this way, RENAULT has developed in 1984 a numerical tomography technique which permits an analysis of vortical flow in wakes of road vehicles. Nevertheless, interpretations of the maps obtained by this method are sometimes difficult for complex aerodynamic shapes, mainly concerning the source of free share layers. By coupling this last method with oil-flow visualizations, and a simultaneous reading, it is possible to overcome this problem and to obtain a more complete understanding of flow structures around a car. Results of this technique are presented for some typical models, and discussed.
|Technical Paper||On the Relationship Between Aerodynamic Characteristics and Driving Stability At High Speed|
|Technical Paper||Analysis of Vehicle Stability in Crosswinds|
CitationChometon, F., "Simultaneous Use Of Oil-Flow Patterns And Total Pressure Tomographies For A More Complete Understanding Of Flow Structures Around A Car," SAE Technical Paper 885137, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/885137.
- SETTLES G.S. Modern developments in flow visualization AIAA Journal 24 8 Aug. 1986
- MOREL T. The effect of base slant on the flow pattern and drag of 3D bodies with blunt ends Proc. of Symp. on aerodynamic drag mechanisms of bluff bodiesd and road vehicles Plenum Press 1978 191 226
- CHOMETON F. LAURENT J. Réduction des pertes d'énergie dans les sillages des automobiles Revue Française de Mécanique 1986 1 21 30 1986
- PEAKE D.J. Phenomelogical aspects of quasi-stationnary controlled and uncontrolled three-dimensional flow separations AGARD LS-94 5 5.52 1978
- PEAKE D.J. TOBAK M. Three-dimensional interactions and vortical flows with emphasis on high speeds AGARD AG-252 1980
- WERLE H. Structures des decollements sur des ailes cylindriques La Recherche Aerospatiale 3 221 242 1986