This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Full Scale Class 8 Conventional Tractor-Trailer in the 9×9m Wind Tunnel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper outlines the techniques used to install both a full scale and a half scale tractor-trailer model in the 9×9 meter National Research Council of Canada wind tunnel in Ottawa, Canada. The objectives were to measure the cooling drag of an active cooling system and to investigate the aerodynamic testing limits of long, yawed models inside a solid wall wind tunnel. The tunnel interference problem is discussed as it pertains to the upstream boundary, test section floor, downstream boundary, ceiling and side walls and tractor-trailer surface pressure measurements. A potential solution to the problem, however, is the subject of a follow-up paper.
CitationSchaub, U., Nishimura, Y., Olson, M., and Creswick, G., "A Full Scale Class 8 Conventional Tractor-Trailer in the 9×9m Wind Tunnel," SAE Technical Paper 881876, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/881876.
- Raimondo, S. Clark P.J.F. “Slotted Wall Test Section for Automotive Aerodynamic Test Facilities.” March 1982
- Flay, R.G.J. Elfstrom G.M. Clark P.J.F. “Slotted Wall Test Section for Automotive Aerodynamic Tests at Yaw.” SAE 830302 February 1983
- Elfstrom, G.M. Flay R.G.J. Clark P.J.F. “Slotted Wall Test Section for Car and Truck Aerodynamic Test: Interim Report.” Symposium on the Aerodynamics of Transportation November 1983
- Maskell, E.C. “A Theory of the Blockage Effects on Bluff Bodies and Stalled Wings in a Closed Wind Tunnel.” November 1963
- Gould, R.W.F. “Wake Blockage Corrections in a Closed Wind Tunnel for One or Two Wall-Mounted Models Subject to Separated Flow.” February 1969
- Hensel, R.W. “Rectangular-Wind-Tunnel Blocking Correction Using the Velocity Ratio Method.” 1951
- Hackett, J.E. Wilsden D.J. Lilley D.E. “Estimation of Tunnel Blockage from Wall Pressure Signatures: A Review and Data Correlation.” March 1979
- Allmaras, S.R. “On Blockage Corrections for Two-Dimensional Wind Tunnel Tests Using the Wall-Pressure Signature Method” N.A.S.A. Technical Memorandum 86759 March 1986
- Waudby-Smith, P.M. Rainbird W.J. “Some Principles of Automotive Aerodynamic Testing in Wind Tunnels with Examples from Slotted Wall Test Section Facilities.” SAE 850284 February 1985
- Schlichtung, H. Boundary-Layer Theory McGraw-Hill Book Company Seventh 1979
- Hill, P.G. Schaub U.W. Senoo Y. “Turbulent Wakes in Pressure Gradients.” Transactions of the ASME: Journal of Applied Mechanics 30 4 518 524 December 1963