This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Facial Impact Response — A Comparison of the Hybrid III Dummy and Human Cadaver
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Results indicate the need for a redesigned Hybrid III face capable of accurate force and acceleration measurements. New instrumentation and methods for facial fracture detection were developed, including the application of acoustic emissions. Force/ deflection information for the human cadaver head and the Hybrid III ATD were generated for the frontal, zygomatic, and maxillary regions.
CitationAllsop, D., Warner, C., Wille, M., Schneider, D. et al., "Facial Impact Response — A Comparison of the Hybrid III Dummy and Human Cadaver," SAE Technical Paper 881719, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/881719.
- Swearingen J. J. “ Tolerance of the Human Face to Crash Impact .” Federal Aviation Agency, Office of Aviation Medicine, Civil Aeromedical Research Institute Oklahoma City, OK. 1965
- Hodgson V. R. “Tolerance of the Facial Bones to Impact.” Am J Anat 1967 120 1 113
- Nahum A. M. Gatts J. D. Gadd C. W. Danforth J. “Impact Tolerance of the Skull and Face,” Proceedings of the Twelfth Stapp Car Crash Conference New York Society of Automotive Engineers 1968
- Nyquist G. W. Cavanaugh J.M. Goldberg S.J. King A.I. “Facial Impact Tolerance and Response,” Proceedings of the Thirtieth Stapp Car Crash Conference California Society of Automotive Engineers 1986
- Viano David C. John W. Melvin Joseph D. McCleary Richard G. Madeira Rex Shee T. Horsch John D. “Measurement of Head Dynamics and Facial Contact Forces in the Hybrid III Dummy,” Proceedings of the Thirtieth Stapp Car Crash Conference California Society of Automotive Engineers 1986
- Warner Charles Y. Wille Milton G. Stefan Nilsson “A Load Sensing Face For Automotive Crash Dummy Instrumentation,” SAE # 860197 International Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan February 24-28, 1986
- Carlyle J. M. “Imminent Fracture Detection in Graphite/Epoxy Using Acoustic Emission,” Experimental Mechanics 18 1978
- Wright T. M. Vosburgh F. Burstein A. H. “Permanent Deformation of Compact Bone Monitored by Acoustic Emission,” Journal of Biomechanics 14 6 1981
- Hanagud S. Clinton R. G. Lopez J. P. “Acoustic Emission in Bone Substance,” Proceedings of Biomechanics Symposium of American Society of Mechanical Engineers 74 ASME New York 1973
- Schneider D. C. Nahum A. M. “Impact Studies of the Facial Bones and Skull,” Proceedings of the Sixteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference New York Society of Automotive Engineers 1973
- Hubbard R. P. McLeod D. G. “Definition and Development of a Crash Dummy Head,” Proceedings of the Eighteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference Michigan Society of Automotive Engineers 1974
- Ellis Carl E. “Correlation of Fracture in Sheep Nasal Bones with Acoustic Emissions.” Presented to the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Brigham Young University Masters Thesis August 1987