This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Diesel Fuel Quality Effects on Exhaust Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Diesel cars have gained a remarkable market share in Europe and other areas. The relationship between fuel properties, engine design and environmental effects is therefore of considerable interest and this paper reports the results of an investigation employing a seven fuel matrix with two versions of one engine model.
Specially selected diesel fuels were used to quantify the influence of fuel properties on exhaust emissions and cold start behaviour of passenger car compression ignition engines. Both legally regulated emissions (CO, HC, NOx and particulates) and other selected species were measured.
These investigations were based on the engine design enjoying the highest worldwide production for passenger car diesels, the Volkswagen 1.6 litre 4-cylinder engine. This swirl chamber engine was tested in both its naturally aspirated and turbocharged versions.
The test fuel parameters varied were: density, cetane number, aromatic content and distillation characteristics. Most of the fuels were blended from conventional refinery components so that some interdependence between fuel characteristics is inevitable.
In addition to the exhaust emissions tests, cold start and cold running behaviour were also evaluated.
The results reported in this paper indicate that fuel properties do have some influence on emissions performance. However, it has to be emphasized that this influence is small. The results presented show that a 1983 model year European build engine continues to meet the latest ECE 15-05 proposed emissions limits except when grossly over-fuelled by a fuel of 0.881 kg/m3 density. For comparison, a very low cetane number synthetic crude sourced diesel fuel gave similar or better results than many of the higher cetane number fuels in the test series.
CitationWeidmann, K., Menrad, H., Reders, K., and Hutcheson, R., "Diesel Fuel Quality Effects on Exhaust Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 881649, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/881649.
- Dabelstein W. E. A. Allen R. L. Johnson E. K. “Der Fahrzeug-Dieselmotor und sein Kraftstoff - Qualitäts- und Energieaspekte” Shell Technischer Dienst 1982
- Heinze P. “Betriebsverhalten zukünftig möglicher Dieselkraftstoffe in heutigen Motoren” Mineralöl-Technik 4 März 1987
- Fortnagel M. Gairing M. Wagner W. “Verbesserung des Diesel-Motors - Verschlechterung des Diesel-Kraftstoffs - ein Widerspruch” VDI Berichte Nr. 466 1983
- Burley H. Rosebrock T. “Automotive Diesel Engine-Fuel Composition vs Particulates” SAE-paper 790923 1979
- Kagami M. Akasaka Y. Date K. Maeda T. “The Influence of Fuel Properties on the Performance of Japanese Automotive Diesels” SAE-paper 841082 1984
- Olree R. Lenane D. “Diesel Combustion Cetane Number Effects” SAE-paper 840108 1984
- Barry E McCabe L. Gerke D Perez J. “Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine/Fuels Combustion Performance and Emissions - A Cooperative Research Program” SAE-paper 852078 1985
- Yoshida E Nomura H Sekimoto M. “Fuel and Engine Effects on Diesel Exhaust Emissions” SAE-paper 860619 1986
- Gairing M. “Anforderungen an Dieselkraftstoffqualität - heute und in Zukunft” VDI Berichte Nr. 559, Emissionsminderung Automobilabgase - Dieselmotoren VDI-Verlag 1985
- CONCAWE “Diesel fuel quality and its relationship with emissions from diesel engines” Concawe report number 10/87 1987
- Monoghan M. L. “The emissions potential of diesel combustion systems” SAE-paper 865010 1986
- Schleyerbach C. G. “Performance of current and future type petroleum based diesel fuels” BMFT-DGMK joint meeting 1986
- May H Tausk H. J Obländer K Reglitzky A. A. “Automotive diesel fuel - future supply and demand” 12th World Revolution Congress 1987
- Burt R. Troth K. A. “Influence of fuel properties on diesel exhaust emissions” Institute of Mechanical Engineers 1968
- Kraft J. Hartung A. Schulze J. Lies K.-H. “Determination of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in Diluted und Undiluted Exhaust Gas of Diesel Engines” SAE-paper 821219 1982
- Hartung A. Kraft J. Lies K-H. Schulze J. “Messung polycyclischer aromatischer Kohlenwasserstoffe im Abgas von Dieselmotoren” Motortechnische Zeitschrift (MTZ) 43 1982 6
- Lies K.-H. Postulka A Gring H. “Characterization of Exhaust Emissions from Diesel-Powered Passenger Cars with Particular Reference to Unregulated Components” SAE-paper 840361 1984