This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Turbulent Flame Propagation in a Spark Ignition Engine with an Unscavenged Horizontal Prechamber
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To obtain a better understanding of the effect of torch nozzle area on the turbulent flame propagation in a spark ignition engine with an unscavenged prechamber, the combustion characteristics are analyzed from ensemble-averaged pressure diagrams, and the turbulent flame propagation in both the pre- and main chambers are observed using a high-speed camera with image-processing. Also, a numerical simulation is attempted by applying a k-ε model of turbulence to the two-dimensional unsteady flow field and an one-step irreversible reaction model to the combustion process. These engine experiments and numerical calculations are performed under the same operating conditions, that is, optimum spark advance for best torque (MBT), volumetric efficiency of ηv=80±2%, air-fuel ratio of A/F≃15 and engine speed of N ≃1000 rpm, with various torch nozzle areas (An).
Consequently, the effect of torch nozzle on the flame propagation pattern become more clear. Both the maps of calculated isotherm and measured flame front are found to be in reasonable agreement, and the isotherm area fraction and flame area fraction also show a similar tendency.
CitationRyu, H. and Asanuma, T., "Turbulent Flame Propagation in a Spark Ignition Engine with an Unscavenged Horizontal Prechamber," SAE Technical Paper 881603, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/881603.
- Gatowski J. Heywood J.B. Deleplace C. “Flame Photographs in a Spark-Ignition Engine” Combustion and Flame 56 1984 71
- Baritaud T.A. “High Speed Schlieren Visualization of Flame Initiation in a Lean Operating S.I. Engine” SAE Paper 872152 1987
- zur Loye A.O. Bracco F.V. “Two-Dimensional Visualization of Ignition Kernel in an IC Engine” Combustion and Flame 69 1987 59
- zur Loye A.O. Bracco F.V. “Two-Dimensional Visualization of Premixed-Charge Flame Structure in an IC Engine” SAE Paper 870454 1987
- Namazian M. Hansen S. Lyford-Pike E. Sanchez-Barsse J. Heywood J.B. Rife J. “Schlieren Visualization of the Flow and Density Fields in the Cylinder of a Spark-Ignition Engine” SAE Paper 800044 1980
- Smith J.Ray “Turbulent Flame Structure in a Homogeneous-Charge Engine” SAE Paper 820043 1982
- Sanda S. Inoue T. Oishi K. Yamada T. “Combustion Characteristics of Divided Chamber Homogeneous Combustion System-High Speed Schlieren Photograph Study and math modeling of the Combustion Process-” Toyota Eng. 27 2 1977 149
- AL-Mamar F.N.A.A. Desoky A.R.A. “Combustion in the divided chamber spark ignition engine” I.Mech.E. 1983 73
- Sinnamon J.F. Cole D.E. “The Influence of Overall Equivalence Ratio and Degree of Stratification on the Fuel Consumption and Emissions of A Prechamber, Stratified-Charge Engine” SAE Paper 790438 1979
- Inamori J. Ryu H. Asanuma T. “Visualizing Studies of Combustion Process in a Spark Ignition Engine with a Horizontal Prechamber” Journal of The Flow Visualization Society of Japan 8 30 1988 209
- Gupta H.C. Steinberger R.L. Bracco F.V. “Combustion in a Divided, Stratified Charge, Reciprocating Engine: Initial Comparisons of Calculated and Flame Propagation” Combustion Science and Technology 22 1980 27
- Ryu H. Ohtsu A. Asanuma T. “Effect of Torch Jet Direction on Combustion and Performance of a Prechamber Spark-Ignition Engine” SAE Paper 870167 1987
- Gupta H.C. Syed S.A. “REC-P3(Reciprocating Engine Combustion, Planar Geometry, Third Version):A Computer Program for Combustion in Reciprocating Engines” Princeton University 1979
- Sorenson S.C. Pan S.S. “A One-Dimensional Combustion Model for a Dual Chamber Stratified Charge Spark Ignition Engine” SAE Paper 790355 1979
- Grimsmo B. Magnussen B.F. “Numerical Simulation of Flow and Combustion in a Homogeneous Charge Spark Ignition Engine, Comparison with Experimental Data” IEA Proceedings Ninth Task Leaders Meeting 1987 197
- Diwakar R. “Assessment of the Ability of a Multidimensional Computer Code to Model Combustion in a Homogeneous-Charge Engine” SAE Paper 840230 1984
- Namekawa S. Ryu H. Asanuma T. “LDA Measurement of Turbulence in a Motored Spark Ignition Engine with a Horizontal Prechamber” 7th JSME and JSAE Joint Symposium on Internal Combustion Engine 1987 375
- Syed S.A. Bracco F.V. “Further Comparisons of Computed and Measured Divided-Chamber Engine Combustion” SAE Paper 790247 1979